Question about apple wine/cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2276

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks for entertaining this newbie question in advance. I picked apples from my back yard, juiced them, and have started the fermentation process.

I only got about 3 gallons of must. My thought is to torn this into apple wine, and then add more non hard cider to to bring the alcohol level to about 5-6 percent, as a way to stretch the batch. It seems this is what Crispin does. Any thoughts as to the viability of this?

Be sure to "Bottle" Pasteurize your Applewine, otherwise adding "Non hard cider" will prolong fermentation and increase ABV%. (Depending on the Alcohol tolerance of the yeast you're using.)

Hello all,

Thanks for entertaining this newbie question in advance. I picked apples from my back yard, juiced them, and have started the fermentation process.

I only got about 3 gallons of must. My thought is to torn this into apple wine, and then add more non hard cider to to bring the alcohol level to about 5-6 percent, as a way to stretch the batch. It seems this is what Crispin does. Any thoughts as to the viability of this?

Well, sure, you could do that; I'm not sure why you'd want to though. Seems like you'd be adding an extra step where you don't need one. If you're going to add more juice/sweet cider to your must, why not just ferment it all in one shot?

Depending on the sugar content of your apples, you should only get about 5% without any added sugar. Use an ale yeast & it should ferment out dry, with plenty of apple flavour. You can always boost the sugar content & thereby the ABV with added sugar in various forms if you want, a lot of us do.

If you were actually wanting to backsweeten, you'll have to either use a nonfermentable sweetener or pasteurize once carb has been reached; or keep it still.
Regards, GF.

Well the thought process is that I could get more cider, given that the apples in my backyard only yielded 3.5 gallons and I have a 6 gallon carboy. Why not up the alcohol and carbonate/back sweeten with cider, to yield more drinkable product.

Well, sure, you could do that; I'm not sure why you'd want to though. Seems like you'd be adding an extra step where you don't need one. If you're going to add more juice/sweet cider to your must, why not just ferment it all in one shot?

Depending on the sugar content of your apples, you should only get about 5% without any added sugar. Use an ale yeast & it should ferment out dry, with plenty of apple flavour. You can always boost the sugar content & thereby the ABV with added sugar in various forms if you want, a lot of us do.

If you were actually wanting to backsweeten, you'll have to either use a nonfermentable sweetener or pasteurize once carb has been reached; or keep it still.
Regards, GF.

Well the thought process is that I could get more cider, given that the apples in my backyard only yielded 3.5 gallons and I have a 6 gallon carboy. Why not up the alcohol and carbonate/back sweeten with cider, to yield more drinkable product.

Back