using ale yeast to produce a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebrooker

Reaction score
I do not have have a refrigerater to dedicate to lagering at this time. I really like Sam Adams, Sam Adams black lager and Blackened voodoo. Is it possible to create these beers using a ale yeast and if so what yeast? Also recipes would be great.

Try Nottingham Ale dry yeast.
Everything I read about it says its the cleanest ale yeast - and does not produce typical ale fruitiness. I have a "lager" grain bill, but used this ale yeast...its too early to tell, but so far, it is quite neutral in profile (fermented @ about 65F).

The other options are to search Califonia Steam and Kolesch yeast strains.

PS Welcome aboard !! (the search function is on the very top right of the page).

Cheers.

Yes, you can do it, but don't expect the clean taste of a lager. expect more 'character' from the ale yeast and warmer fermentation temperatures.

or, use a lager yeast, and ferment at ale temperatures. See: Steam Beers

I would also suggest Nottingham or Cal Ale (WLP001, Wyeast 1056, Safale US-05) and get the fermentation as cool as you can.

I'd add 1007 to that list. Ferments down to 55F, with very clean finish. Use it for all my brews except the more specialized yeast.

I just did a munich lager with nottingham ale yeast. Almost spot on, though not *exact*

Besides, i didn't really lager it. I just bottled after 10 days :)

Back