10gal BIAB in Keggle Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe21

Reaction score
I did my first 10 gallon biab in my keggle yesterday and I am pretty happy with how everything turned out!

I used a corona grain mill for the first time and I don't have it rigged for a power drill yet so it took me about 40 minutes to mill the 19lbs of grain using the hand crank :( that was a pain.

It took a while to increase the temps also because I am doing this on my stove top (crazy I know). Soon I will have my electric setup going.

I ended up getting 74% efficiency and it took me 6-7 hrs start to finish but next time I'm confident that things will go quicker and smoother. Probably 1hr of that time was taking breaks with my 4mo old assistant brewer

Impressive! I have been doing 5 gal BIAB for a while and am starting to get ready to do 10 gal!

May I ask what you used for your grain bag? I have an 80 qt aluminum stock pot that is more wide than it is tall so I've had trouble finding a suitable bag.

Also how did you suspend the grains to drain? Did you rig a pulley or hang it from something?

I will admit I was a little nervous going from 5 gal to 10 but I am glad I did. Filling two fermenters instead of one for only a marginal increase in time makes me happy.

I used a 24x24 grain that I picked up at my lhbs, it worked fine but it was not wide enough to clip onto the whole circumference of the keggle. It seems that the preferred method is to custom sew one from voile.

I doughed in with 10 gallons in the keggle, then I heated up 2.5 gal in a separate kettle to about 180, I lifted the grains out and placed them in the 2.5 gal, then lifted the grain again and placed it in a separate empty kettle, then poured the 2.5 gallons over it. Went back and fourth a couple times then dumped the water into the kettle. I then placed a colander in an empty kettle and placed the grain on it to drain. I could hardly say I have perfected this method but that is how I did it this time and it seemed to work fine.

Go for 10 gal, you won't regret it!

Nice, that's how I did my 5 gal batches since my kettle is exactly 5 gal.

I can't wait to have all that extra room in my next batch.

Back