American Pale Ale Mirror Pond Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale - 04 (2)
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 65
Additional Fermentation
Crash cool secondary if possible.
[size=+2]Mirror Pond Pale Ale[/size]
[size=+1]10-A American Pale Ale[/size]

13.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 153.17 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.046 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
|============#===================|
Color: 13.2 (5.0 - 14.0)
|======================#=========|
Alcohol: 4.53% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 37.99 (30.0 - 45.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9.5 lbs Maris Otter
.25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt (Organic)
1.0 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
0.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Mash @ 150 for 60 mins. This is my third shot at cloning this beer. I started out with the BYO recipe and it wasn't quite there, so the second time around I modified it and went overboard and turned it into an IPA.

This time around I used Maris Otter(and a bit less of it) and the 04 yeast and it came out very similiar to Mirror Pond. MP is SWMBO's favorite beer and she says it's spot on. I'll post a side by side for you guys as soon as I can.

This has been in the bottle for a few months and is getting better weekly. I woudn't recommend this recipe if you're looking for something that is going to be finished in three weeks - this one needs some time to age before it's ready.

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

Looks like a good recipe I've been looking for a good mirror pond clone with little luck until now. I'll have to try it.I thought mirror pond only used cascade hops?

Centennial is essentially Super Cascade. It's often used for bittering as in this recipe, and will impart little in the way of aroma or flavor, especially with the 5oz of Cascade added late / dry hopped. You can use Cascade, of course, you'll just have to up the addition to get the same IBU's.

Let me know how it turns out!

so........ how did it turn out?

and DAYUM! i had no idea you needed so much cascade!

i have 2.0 cascade, and 2.0 centennial for my 5 gal batch.
looks like i need to put it off a week and get more!

the LHBS is charging (sit down now guys) $4.50 AN ONCE for cascades. thats 18 bucks for 4 oz, 2 cascade, 2 centennial.

i dont think i can afford to brew pales :(

the LHBS is charging (sit down now guys) $4.50 AN ONCE for cascades. thats 18 bucks for 4 oz, 2 cascade, 2 centennial.

Time to grow your own!

If I were to convert this to extract would I just steep the carapils and the crystal and use extra light DME instead of the MO? Anybody tell me how many pounds of DME would equal the 9.5 pounds of MO?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_93_70

I took another look at the Deschutes website and they've thrown in some more information for homebrewers:

SPECIFICS
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.050-1.055
Final gravity: 1.012-1.015
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale
MALT
NW 2-row Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Dextrin Malt
HOPS
100% Cascade
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone

Any thoughts on this?

I've made a Mirror pond cline with pale, crystal 60 and cascade twice. I used Chico (us-05) yeast once and a British yeast the second. I thought the one using British yeast was worse than Mirror Pond, while the US-05 was better. But neither was an exact clone.

Deschutes uses a house yeast, I think with British origins.

[size=+2]Mirror Pond Pale Ale[/size]
[size=+1]10-A American Pale Ale[/size]

13.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 153.17 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.046 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
|============#===================|
Color: 13.2 (5.0 - 14.0)
|======================#=========|
Alcohol: 4.53% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 37.99 (30.0 - 45.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9.5 lbs Maris Otter
.25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt (Organic)
1.0 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
0.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Mash @ 150 for 60 mins. This is my third shot at cloning this beer. I started out with the BYO recipe and it wasn't quite there, so the second time around I modified it and went overboard and turned it into an IPA.

This time around I used Maris Otter(and a bit less of it) and the 04 yeast and it came out very similiar to Mirror Pond. MP is SWMBO's favorite beer and she says it's spot on. I'll post a side by side for you guys as soon as I can.

This has been in the bottle for a few months and is getting better weekly. I woudn't recommend this recipe if you're looking for something that is going to be finished in three weeks - this one needs some time to age before it's ready.

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

Anyone willing to convert this one into extract? I can do a full boil, if that matters. This is one of my favorite PAs.

Anyone willing to convert this one into extract? I can do a full boil, if that matters. This is one of my favorite PAs.

I don't think you can buy maris otter in an extract. But if there was an "English" type extract, you could use that. Generally, 1 pound base-malt = .75 pounds LME. So, for about 10 pounds marris otter, you could use 7.5 of an English LME if you could find it.

If you can do a full volume boil make the small jump and brew it BIAB, just need a big bag.

Bump. Just moved a batch of this from the primary to a keg for dry hop/conditioning. FG measured out at 1.008, and the sample tasted awesome. I brewed on 10/8/11, so 14 days on primary. (The recipe calls for 4 days primary @ 67, 10 days secondary @ 67. I decided to let it sit longer in the primary because I was fermenting at 63-64 degrees and because I am lazy. Fermentation took off and seemed done by day 4, but no need to rush.)

Thanks for the great recipe, can't wait to drink this!

So, copyright, how'd this treat you?

It was great. Keg is kicked already. I've been making bottles from things I've kegged and taking them to a Sunday football get together, and this one has been a crowd favorite. These are from mostly BMC types! (It's great getting comments from folks suggesting I should open up a brewpub.)

Anyway, it's definitely on the re-brew list. (According to BeerSmith, I made this with 1/2 2 row, 1/2 MO, used S-04 yeast...but I thought I remembered doing this all with MO...maybe I was trying to use up some 2 Row.)

You can buy Cascade for $11 per pound at Hop Shack: http://www.hopsshack.com/store/HP1031.html. Of course, if you are like me, you end up doing a couple $70 orders for various hops on sale since the extra shipping cost per pound is minimal. For example, Columbus @ $7 and Galena @ $7.59. By the time I was done, I bought 2# cascade, 2# Galena, 1# Brewers Gold, 2# Williamette, 2# Nugget, 2# Spalt Select, 1# Centennail and 2# Columbus. OUCH. :)

copyright1997 said:
You can buy Cascade for $11 per pound at Hop Shack: http://www.hopsshack.com/store/HP1031.html. Of course, if you are like me, you end up doing a couple $70 orders for various hops on sale since the extra shipping cost per pound is minimal. For example, Columbus @ $7 and Galena @ $7.59. By the time I was done, I bought 2# cascade, 2# Galena, 1# Brewers Gold, 2# Williamette, 2# Nugget, 2# Spalt Select, 1# Centennail and 2# Columbus. OUCH. :)

+1 for hopsshack. I bought 4 lbs from them and they are great. Called me to confirm everything and they have amazing deals.

Gonna brew this up this weekend for the big brew day... need a nice light beer in place of all the heavy hitters I have been making... Looking forward to it! Thanks for the recipe

Back