How to make syrups for a Berliner Weise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I have a batch of berliner weisse carbonating in some bottles right now. I have some woodruff and raspberry syrup that's currently on it's way from Germany, so chances are it's going to take a while to get here.

In the meantime I've decided that I'd like to make a peach syrup, so that I can mix up something similar to the Dogfish Head Festina Peche.

Has anyone does this? How would I go about making my own syrup? Is there a commercial brand of peach syrup that would suffice? In general this would be good to know for future reference so that I don't have to order syrup online every time I run out.

I've been doing more research and came across this website:

http://www.cocktailsoftheworld.com/all-about-syrups.html

It's a great resource for anyone interested in making fresh syrups for berliner weisse or whatever else. Not only do they have a recipe for making peach syrup, they also have recipes for making woodruff, raspberry and pretty much any other fruit/miscellaneous syrup you can think of; easily more than 20 different recipes for syrups. I live right down the street from an orchard with a wide variety of amazing fresh fruit so I see a summer full of experimenting with syrups and berliner weisse.

Alright, so the peach syrup calls for butter in the recipe...and for some reason that sketches me out. What benefit is there to adding butter to this syrup? Texture? It's such a small amount that I know you won't taste butter, but still, any thoughts? Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
5 Peaches (fresh and sliced)
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tsp Butter
1 cup Water
1 dash Cinnamon (powder)

Instructions:
Cook all ingredients in a saucepan until it begins to thicken. Strain into a container and use to flavor and sweeten your cocktails.

brewinginct said:
I've been doing more research and came across this website:

http://www.cocktailsoftheworld.com/all-about-syrups.html

That's a fantastic link!

During a recent trip to Germany I picked up a bottle of rasperry and woodruff syrup but the store only carried sugar-free versions with some preservatives as well. Haven't cracked them since they only have a 4-6 week shelf life opened and I'm waiting for summer. They might be authentic German syrups, but something tells me these homemade recipes will taste better.

Usually the addition of a fat to a sugar solution, is to prevent crystallization. Other things do that too, like acids or adding another kind of sugar, like corn syrup.
It depends what temperature you're taking it to. You could try substituting some brown sugar or use a little lemon juice and see what happens.

Back