Help choosing a brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
First of all, are these two pots the same thing?

a. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=10460

b. http://www.instawares.com/nsf-stainless-steel-stock.rii-royssrspt40.0.7.htm

If no, which is preferred (a. or b.) ... or,

option c: They are so similar it doesnt matter.

Also, can anyone weight in on the whole clad vs. not clad issue. I read on blichmann's website that they dont feel the aluminum layer is worth the extra time/money it takes to make the pot that way--- meanwhile, megapot, polarware, etc. all have triply pots which they seem to suggest are better for brewing d/t the scorching issue.

thoughts?

The two pots that you have links to are indeed the same. Tri-clad bottoms are not necessary for brewing although if you were using one of these for a mash tun I believe it could help with more uniform temps through the grainbed. There is not any scorching issues if you got a kettle without the tri-clad bottom. Where you going to do any mod's to the kettle for a valve or thermometer? I just recently went with MoreBeer's 60qt which is basically the same exact pot with welded bulkheads. I am super happy with it!!! I did notice that MoreBeer does not have a 40 qt though. Any of the two that you are thinking about should last you a lifetime considering the kettle is taken care of. Blichmann shouldn't be saying that tri-clad bottoms are not worth the money to make considering there kettles cost an arm and a leg to begin with. The megapot type kettle line is also heavier duty SS than Blichmann is. I am so glad I didn't lunge at the so called blingmann overpriced kettle like so many do.

Scorching is a completely overblown issue if you are simply going to use the pot for boiling wort. I posted several comments asking if anyone could truthful say they had scorched their wort and to the best of my knowledge nobody ever has. Balazs make a good point about using it as a MLT and in that case with too high heat I could see where hot spots might scorch the grain but in a boil kettle? No Way!

Here's some advise buy the BIGGEST and Best kettle you can afford! Old 15 gallon kegs make great kettles, shop craigs list, ebay, and use search engines to hunt for kettles.

Hang Loose

Blichmann shouldn't be saying that tri-clad bottoms are not worth the money to make considering there kettles cost an arm and a leg to begin with.

I know.. RIGHT?!?!
_________________________________________________--
Thanks for the help guys....

Ill check on the morebeer kettle. Im just going to use it for a BK at this point and I HAVE had scorched wort.. but I think its because I didnt cut the heat when I added extract.... shouldnt be an issue once its all mixed in to suspension.

I would like to add at least a ball valve at some point... how hard are these pots to drill yourself?... in other words, would it be worth paying more for the pot to get it from austin, and have them drill for a valve?

cheers.:mug:

They are not the same pot. They are made by different companies. I will look into Royal industries to see if they have a better cost which will equal a better retail.

I can match or beat Northern Brewer's megapots. They are the same brand as ours.

The tri-clad bottom is a big plus.

Forrest

They are not the same pot. They are made by different companies. I will look into Royal industries to see if they have a better cost which will equal a better retail.

I can match or beat Northern Brewer's megapots. They are the same brand as ours.

The tri-clad bottom is a big plus.

Forrest

Thanks for posting Forrest.

IMO clad bottom is intended for simmering sauces and stews while cooking....not sure of the benefits boiling wort as the wort is free to circulate and not burn like a heavy sauce.

Latest posts

Back