anyone ever had coopers lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webstercan

Reaction score
hey all , first post here! i am thinking about brewing a coopers lager kit , could someone tell me how coopers compares to cheap 24 for 24 beer such as " lakeport " or " lucky " or " carling " or is coopers lager actually better than that?

If you want to brew something that you can get in a cheap 24 pack, I would suggest just buying it. Way cheaper, easier, and faster.

If this is your first brew, then you need to know that brewing a lager takes some specialized equipment (like a dedicated refrigerator) so that you can keep it in there a couple weeks longer than it would take to brew an ale. Now, the kit probably doesn't come with lager yeast, but the point still stands. To this end, I would suggest just starting with a simple ale and seeing where that gets you.

The first beer I made was with a Munton's kit (similar idea to the cooper's ones) and it was definitely my worst. No boil kits are a little sketch IMO, and the beer that they produce isn't the best. Look for a true brew kit at your store and go with one with steeping grains. That will probably give you a better result.

My first few kits were no boil kits. I used the Muntons kits. They were easy and Made very drinkable beer.

The Coopers Lager, Like Devilishprune said is not really a Lager. It is an Ale.

The Muntons Brown Ale was actually very good. I had a party and everone loved it. Just make sure you use DME as the fermentable sugar not corn sugar. I used the corn suger in the Pilsner kit and it was my worst.

hey all , first post here! i am thinking about brewing a coopers lager kit , could someone tell me how coopers compares to cheap 24 for 24 beer such as " lakeport " or " lucky " or " carling " or is coopers lager actually better than that?

I'm biased. But I think it it makes a great session brew. Dry hop with an oz of Saaz. Easy and tasty.

Coopers Lager (not really a lager as has been mentioned) was was my 'gateway' homebrew. Even though I am all grain now, I have likely not made my last coopers. As people have mentioned, use dme instead of sugar for the fermentables (sugar for priming is groovy in my books). If at all possible, try to keep temps in the mid to low sixties. My first ever coopers kit (where i used sugar and had temps hitting high 80's) tasted very cidery. In fact if I hadn't told you it was beer, you would swear that it was apple cider and didn't have a single drop of beer in it.

I still drank it, I mean what the heck, I've never been known to turn up my nose at a beer or a cider for that matter.

Like all hobbies, your second attempt will be better than your first, don't get discouraged if your first batch doesnt turn out exactly like you expect. Of course I might be biased as I would rather drink a botched coopers kit than a lucky or a carling anyday, although the occasional lakeport is one of my guilty pleasures.

Back