Batch 2 Recipe Check, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blamo

Reaction score
Ok so now that I have my first batch in the secondary, I thought I'd mix up something else. I'll write the recipe down and if anyone has any suggestions, fire away.

1 gallon plus 1 quart apple cider
Juice of 3 pomegranates - extracted all the kernels and went to town with a potato masher, strained off the liquid - yielded just over a pint.
Dissolved 1 cup sugar and 1/2 pound honey into the pomegranate juice, added to cider.
Added campden - 12 hours later added pectic enzyme - 24 hours later (last night) pitched yeast (Lalvin 1116)

SG prior to yeast was 1070. Wondering if I should add more sugar. Thoughts?

This is going to yield a dry cider because of the lalvin, and some of the flavor from the apples and the pomegranates are going to be scrubbed out. Let her go all the way to 1.00 or below, then rack into a secondary with applejuice concentrate and more pom juice. This will bring the flavors back. It might start fermenting again, so airlock the secondary and let it sit for a while. Otherwise, sounds good! Let us know how it progresses.

Back