lager attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I have attempted a lager batch using san fran lager yeast, a high-temp and tolerant yeast. I used the wet t-shirt method to keep it cool (55 deg or so) during fermenting, and then put it in a 2ndary in the kegerator for a month at 45 deg or so.

Final gravity is higher, like 1.018, than any other brew I have ever done (ales mostly). I calc'ed the attenuation at around 66% (OG was 1.054). I guess that is okay since the white labs page says 65 - 70% attenuation.

But it just sort of seems to have this sweet flavor like enough sugar didn't get fermented. I don't know. I did make a starter by the way. But I did not pump air or O2 into the wort, just shook it around.

i didint pump 02 either and my dropped to 1.011. How big was your starter? DId you cold pitch your starter? What was the gravity before you started lagering? How long did you ferment? I brewed mine and let it get down to around 1.018 and then pulled to a 70F area for diacetyl rest for 36-48 hrs. then it attenuated all the way to 1.011 and i moved to lagering....i also used a half gal starter and pitched cold

it was extract.

my starter was about 1 liter. could have gone bigger I suppose.

it's just part of the learning curve I guess.

scinerd i'll answer your other questions that I remember.

Fermented for 2 weeks. Didn't measure gravity before lagering. I did pitch the starter cold, dumping the starter wort and pitching just the yeast.

Back