Slightly Non-traditional Hefeweizen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Wheat beers aren't a favorite of mine, but I do enjoy one on occasion. Lately, for some reason though, I've really had a hankering for one. And I guess it's a good style to know how to brew. Even though I'm pretty much past the Hefe season I'm thinking about brewing one up. So here's a recipe I threw together. It's not quite the typical malted wheat/pilsner malt recipe so I thought I'd bounce it off ya'll to see if it looks good. I've got some carahell I need to use up anyway!

5.5 gal batch

5 lbs. wheat malt
4 lbs. pilsner malt
.5 lbs. munich malt
.5 lbs. carahell

.62 oz. tettnanger (60 min.)
.3 oz. tettnanger (20 min.)

fermenting with one of the traditional bavarian hefe yeasts

OG 1.052
SRM 4.5
IBU 12

EDIT: Forgot to mention I thought I would try out my first decoction on this one. A single-step decoction mash with a protein rest.

Looks good to me!

Waitaminnit - I'm forgetting the way we do things 'round here when a beer sounds good.

That recipe looks terrible. You should brew and package it anyway - as a learning experience - and ship the bottles to me for proper disposal.

:D

Bob

Brewed this today. My first decoction went pretty well, although I've gotta say it felt pretty weird boiling the mash, grains and all! Evaporated a bit too much during the boil so the OG is slightly high at 1.056 but it should still be good!:mug: Pitched a starter of Wyeast 3068 that was making all the right hefeweizen smells. I've got a good feeling about this one.

+1. I'm reconsidering the joke part of my first post in this thread. What's your address, Brian? I know how to get to Durham, but I can't really break into your house until I know the exact address.

;)

Haha, I'll be happy to send out some bottles when it's done. It seems to be happy right now, there is a big cloud of starsan foaming out from the top of the airlock.

looks like a great recipe.

most commercial hefeweizens throw something besides pils/wheat in their hefeweizens to make them unique. nothing too untraditional about your recipe except for perhaps the late addition hops. i like a malty flavor to go with my weizens. the decoction mash will certainly help you with that. i don't have time for a decoction today (as i am doing three beers) so i'm throwing some vienna and a small amount of aromatic in there. using homegrown fuggle for the bittering. should make for an interesting hefeweizen.
:mug:

Wow, deathbrewer, three beers! I'm beat after 1! I'd suspect the vienna and aromatic will provide the maltiness you might usually get from a decoction.

I forgot to mention that for this recipe I actually ended up using a darker wheat malt (6-8 Lovibond). That should give it a bit more uniqueness. My SRM ended up right at 7.

Back