Carbonating temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoulies

Reaction score
How hot is too hot for the carbonation periods for an ale? If there is a thread on this, some advice on searching the labyrinth would be much appreciated.

I say for carbonating, leave the bottles about 2 weeks at room temperature. anything from about 65*F to 75*F should be just fine. Going over 80 isn't advisable, and anything under 65 will just add time to the process.

When you add the sugar the fermentation process starts again but this time it is anaerobic and the goal is CO2. That is why it is so important to let your beer ferment fully before bottling

As long as it is not uncomfortable to you the yeast will be fine. Depending on the gravity of the beer it might take a long time to ferment but most average beers take about 3 weeks at room temp.

Follow up to the carb question. What is the conversion rate for different carbing sugars? ie DME, honey etc

Speaking of yeast settling, should I swirl the beer in the bottle prior to pouring? Silly question, I know...very noob here

Speaking of yeast settling, should I swirl the beer in the bottle prior to pouring? Silly question, I know...very noob here

No. Leave it caked at the bottom.

The first time, leave 1 oz on the bottom of the bottle. Swirl, then taste it. Do you like it?

If you don't like the taste (you probably won't), then you should always pour into a glass, then rinse the yeast down the drain before it hardens or gets funky. If you do like it, then might as well swirl that bad boy up and drink it down. It does have some vitamins.

I personally like the taste of wheat beer yeasts, but they're almost always suspended, so this isn't really an issue.

Depends if you prefer cloudy beer or clear beer in your glass.

Some styles, hefe-weissen, witbier, etc are quite often served with the yeast swirled prior to pouring.

I usually pour off a first glass full of clear beer, drink that, then swirl the dregs in the bottom of the bottle and drink them as I enjoy the different taste that arises from the yeast being mixed in.

Fair warning to those who drink the yeast. It will affect you in ways that might not be pleasant to those around you and may even make the morning trip to the bathroom a repeat performance.

There are good reasons to drink the yeast though. I do not get hungover when I drink the yeast and it is loaded with good things for you. So you pretty much have to decide what is worse a hangover or hanging over the toilet stinking up the house.

Since I personally do not think my turds stink I opt for the latter:rockin:

How do the big companies not have yeast in their bottles? Is this the advantage of forced carbonation?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, not really. I've heard about it but not savvy on the process. Gives me something to look up though!

csoulies said:
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, not really. I've heard about it but not savvy on the process. Gives me something to look up though!

I'm trackin' now! Thanks for the lead!

Back