How much water in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo1066

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to home brewing and this site, but would like to ask how much water should I put in the airlock?

Thanks in advance.

mo1066 said:
Hi there I'm new to home brewing and this site, but would like to ask how much water should I put in the airlock?

Thanks in advance.

If using a 3 piece there should be a fill line, otherwise half way and you should use cheap vodka instead of water to kill any nasties that may arise:)

The problem with water is nasties settle into it & thrive. When a vaccum accurs inside the fermenter,it can get sucked back into the fermenter. That's one way infections start. Many of us use starsan or cheap vodka that kill anything settling into them. I like the vodka myself. It won't effect the taste of the beer if it gets sucked back & nasties die in it.

I never use anything but water and have never contaminated a batch. I don't chill my fermenter when it's done which could get me a bit of suck back from the airlock. Mine only has gas escaping.

Back