Trying to decide next upgrade (plate chiller or mill)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireantz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my next Homebrew upgrade and am stuck between a mill or a plate chiller. The plate chiller I'm looking at is the dudadiesel B3-23A 30 plate. I'm still trying to decide on mills. I've been leaning towards the monster mill MM2-2.00 but found a cereal killer at a much better price. Any thoughts on which would be a better upgrade? Right now I just use an immersion whirlpool chiller. I mostly order my ingredients online and brew (generally) within 3 weeks of getting them.

I like the barley crusher maltmill myself. Comes with a 7lb hopper & a wood base that fits over a 5G bucket. Needs no adapters to use a 3/8 drill. They have hand cranks too. All for only $130 when midwest gets it back in stock.

I'd go for the mill because it will allow you to control your grain crush, purchase in bulk, condition your grain and not have to worry about using the LHBS mill or the mail order mill which may or may not be set you or recipes liking.

If you don't have a pump, I'd get the mill. A plate chiller will really work best with a pump. Plus, a mill allows you to buy your grain in bulk and save some money

I love my MM2 2.0. Do you currently have a chiller already? Immersion, CFC, or other plate? Are you having troubles more on the efficiency aspect of things or is cooling taking a long time to chill?

In my opinion cooling is more important than milling. But if you already have a chiller of some sort that works, I would go with a mill.

Definitely a mill. If you have a chiller already, just not a plate chiller, it'll do for now. You'll get better quality beer through a better crush. But a chiller upgrade is mostly about convenience.

I was on my phone when I posted it. Considering my current average efficiency is ~65% and my chilling isn't much of an issue (I pre-chill water in my HLT for chilling then pump it which works pretty good). I think it is pretty overwhelmingly "get a mill" so I ordered the MM2-2.0. Little spendy but had better of what I was looking for.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The savings you can achieve with the mill will pay for the plate chiller fairly quickly (if you brew enough), but the plate chiller won't save you anything.

-a.

Back