30 Day Mash?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atonk

Reaction score
I was at a party recently and was introduced to a fellow homebrewer. As we talked he explained to me that he's not as advanced as his son, who does full 30 day mashes. I said I had never heard of that before, and when he asked how long I mashed I said I have never gone longer than 90 minutes.

My assumption was that he meant something else (fermentation or conditioning) but I didn't want to drill him on it, it was a little awkward. I tried looking on the Google with no luck; has anyone ever heard of this?!

He had to have been mistaken, at that timeframe the mash would have absorbed all the water and started molding.

I usually let my mash tun (an igloo round cooler with valve) sit outside with the valve open overnight to cool and drain before putting the spent grain in the trash. Even with just one night the grain starts to sour and smell like absolutely crap. There is no way you could pull off a 30 day mash.

Thirty minute mash maybe. How fast was the homebrew flowing at the party? Sounds like he merely misspoke.

Forstmeister, I do the same thing and the next day I can smell it as soon as I get within ten feet of it.

I had to throw this out there to see if I was missing out on some rare style.

yeah that would come out disgusting.
the grain has lactobacillus on it,. that would one extreme sour beer [not to mention mold and such]

Many folks who aren't familiar with the brewing process mistakenly call anything prior to finished beer "the mash." I think it comes from misperceptions related to whiskey making. He's very likely talking about fermentation.

Back