I'm looking to brew something you don't find everyday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I'm wondering what are some beer styles you don't find in stores very often? I want to try brewing something that is hard to find or uniquely different. Any thoughts on this?

A Belgian IIPA. A brew that has a solid Belgian malt backbone and yeast with loads of American Hops. Ommegang BPA is the only commercial one I have found and while it is good I am thinking bigger and hoppier. I did try to clone the Ommegang and it was good but I am still looking for that recipe. :mug:

Funny, we're all thinking Belgian. I have a Flanders Brown going right now, and I was going to suggest trying Ommegang's Rare Vos...very good beer that you don't typically find everyday.

Heather ale maybe? Had a fraoch the other night. Very different style ale. And a welcoming change if I dare say it your hopped out.
Had it after a nogne o- #500 and the mikkeler -Texas ranger so my mouth had just been overloaded with flavor.
Very smooth style ale very easy drinking. Think there's only one commercial beer of this style available so definitely something you won't find in your local stores often.

A Belgian IIPA. A brew that has a solid Belgian malt backbone and yeast with loads of American Hops. Ommegang BPA is the only commercial one I have found and while it is good I am thinking bigger and hoppier. I did try to clone the Ommegang and it was good but I am still looking for that recipe. :mug:

had that at the brewery and I liked it, I think i would like the Abey Ale done with a little more hops, i think it has a better base.

had that at the brewery and I liked it, I think i would like the Abey Ale done with a little more hops, i think it has a better base.

I have never had the Abbey Ale but I have heard alot of folks talking about it. Sounds like I must give it a try.

Stone brewed (maybe still does?) something similar called Cali-Belgique I think. Flying Dog makes one called Raging *****. I'm not really a fan of them, something about the phenols & hops don't sit right with me, but I know a lot of people really dig the style.

Black Saison. Use debittered black malt so you don't overpower the yeast character.

A Rauchbier is a great beer I don't see too many of, and I could keep that on tap without batting an eye. Berliner Weiss are pretty damn rare as well, and they're nice beers, but I don't think I could have 5 gallons of something that light and airy. It's a great beer for people who don't drink much or aren't used to bigger flavored beers though.

C'mon!! Stop it with the c-hops or new-z crap. Make a hoppy beer but use all hallertau or saaz! Thats something you dont find every day.

I recently brewed a saison with a load of hallertauer hersbrucker, it is beautyful and epic!

C'mon!! Stop it with the c-hops or new-z crap. Make a hoppy beer but use all hallertau or saaz! Thats something you dont find every day.

I recently brewed a saison with a load of hallertauer hersbrucker, it is beautyful and epic!

A pilsner is a hoppy beer with saaz. It's not real bitter because of the soft water and lager yeast (IMO) but it is through the roof in hoppy flavor. Real fresh German style pilsners are hard to find.

A pilsner is a hoppy beer with saaz. It's not real bitter because of the soft water and lager yeast (IMO) but it is through the roof in hoppy flavor. Real fresh German style pilsners are hard to find.

A Bohemian pilsner has lots of saaz and soft water.

A German pilsner uses somewhat harder water and noble hops.

Back