Late, Late, Late Hop Additions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Let's say you are in a situation that you are stuck with, say, a lager, and YOU want to make it more appropriate, hop-wise.

How can you...dose...a single beer, in a neat and tidy way, with more hops?

Is there a subtle way of doing this without, like, just dropping in a bud? :confused:

Anybody ever done this?

Maybe boil a good quantity of hops in a smaller amount of water...filter, chill and store.

Then you have a hop concentrate and can just add the same way you might add a squeeze of lime to a beer.

Just a wild stab, having never tried but I would imagine some hop tea/concentrate as suggested would add a bit of something but I would also suspect it may not be the most desirable "something."

Chew a hop leaf while drinking said beer. It's quite interesting actually, probably not exactly what you had in mind, but it definitely changes the character of the brew.

I have some iso-alpha acid (bitterness) hop extract that I used for a small class project in microbiology. You can buy both the hop flavor or the bitterness extracts. I use the remaining (read: most of it) to add bitterness to cheap swill beer, the addition rate is like a teaspoon per five gallons or so, and a drop or two will add plenty of bitterness to a 32 oz can of High Life.

I believe HopTech (google them) sells the extracts.

Back