Wort chiller substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyjeremybrewer

Reaction score
My wort chiller is out of commission! I have a 10 gal pot with a 6 1/2 gal batch in it.How should I cool it down? The sink is too small for an ice bath. I thought about using 2 frozen 2 liters... sanitize them and then put them in the wort. any other suggestions?

I would try putting the pot in a large cooler, bucket, anything large that holds water & it will fit in. Then put your frozen 2 liters into the water or regular ice for that matter & change ice out if needed. The 2 ltr directly into the wort seems like a large risk for contamination. Better safe than sorry
-Collin
p.s. the bath tub would work great too if you don't have somthing large enough to fit the pot in

The frozen pop bottles sound good until you try it. Then you find out that the water that melts inside the bottle right away insulates the wort from the cold.

If you don't have a bathtub, you may just want to let it sit and cut your loses.

What's your outside temp? You can cover it with a lid and wait for it to cool, shouldn't get infected over a few hours cooling, provided it's closed with a clean lid.

I did a 2 gallon batch and put 3 gallons in the freezer for about an hour. then when it came time to cool my batch i dumped in the 3 gallons and it cooled amaziling fast about 5 minutes. I have not tried it yet it is still fermenting for about another week, then bottling.

+1 for poley's post, just make sure your lid is sealed and set it outside on the stoop. It oughta be cold enough in OR to get your temp down in a few hours

Buy a couple of bags of ice, dump the ice into a large cooler or tub with cold water, something big enough to hold your boil kettle. Stir the ice like crazy, then drop your BK in there and keep stirring your wort BK and the ice water on the outside.

I don't yet have a wort chiller, but we just got a nice 10" or so of snow. I am thinking about a new batch tomorrow, and thought I would put the lid on, and set the pot in the snow, and keep piling snow up around it (being careful to not get any in the pot). Does this sound reasonable?

Back