I made Guinness Cupcakes - Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
So while I boiled my Vanilla Porter tonight, I decided to make some stout cupcakes with a bottle of Guinness that’s been kicking around the refrigerator that I’ve been unable to bring myself to drink. The tops of these guys developed a delectable slightly caramelized crust that was pretty amazing. The recipe also calls for 2 sticks of butter, I’d probably drop it to 1.5 sticks of butter, they were a little oily. This recipe made about 19 cupcakes for me.

Guinness cupcakes
1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (salted works fine too)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt(If you’re using Kosher, use a little more)

2 large egs
3/4 cup sour cream

*Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cupcake pans with paper cups.
*Bring stout and butter to simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
*Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl to blend.
*Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
*Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
*Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed until combined.
*Divide batter equally among cupcake cups (I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop)
*Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
*Transfer to rack; cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pan and set on rack to cool completely.
DSCF5844.jpg

The Baileys buttercream icing recipe goes as such:
1 cup real butter
3 cups powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream
Small drizzle vanilla extract(real)
Milk - if needed for desired consistency

*Beat butter in bowl to loosen up and coat bowl/beaters
*Add in the powdered sugar and Baileys, mix slowly to combine, then beat to mix thoroughly.
*Add the vanilla extract and milk if needed, whip until it lightens in color slightly.
DSCF5848.jpg

Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, spread frosting on them. I noticed that if I took the top off of the cupcake, and just ate the bottom, the cupcake flavor itself is pretty complex and amazing. The stout stands out, you can just get a slight hint of the smokiness. The frosting is epic.
DSCF5851.jpg

That looks delicious and I will be trying this recipe. I love the pictures. Gha I need me my own kitchen so I can start cooking in earnest again.

WOW...

Now I will really have to try that. I have a little of Caramel Bailey's left, Maybe that would be even better.

Me: HUNGRY!!!!

After eating the rest of them, ( ;) ) I think they're more like muffins, but they're still very tasty and excellent with icing. Just a little more dense than cupcakes, my boyfriend's mom didn't like them much because she expected something a little more delicate.

I have made these several times and they are fantastic. I used 1.5 sticks of butter, not 2 as you suggested.

People always compliment the rich chocolate flavor...I think the Guinness is brilliant!

Eric

Back