Marking measurements on your carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone made markings on their 6.5 gallon carboy to mark approximate volume measurement? This would make it a lot easier to make sure you're topping off partial boils with the right amount of fresh water. If anyone has, can you please share your method for calculating the right spot on the glass to mark it off? Thanks.

Pour in 5 litres and mark the glass with a felt pen then do the same for any other amounts you want.
he marks last a good few washes before needing to be remarked.

I just add 1 gallon at a time and then mark the level. I keep doing this until I get to the top of the carboy. I've used sharpies and china markers. Neither one stays permanent. Another option is to use tape. One of those stick on thermometers would be good for one of the markers about mid way up.
I've heard of some folks etching the marks into the glass but this scares me. I'm afraid the carboy will weaken and may break easily if it is etched.

I used tape to mark off the 5 gallon mark on my primary fermenters. Like the others here, I just measured the water and added it until I was at 5.

I don't really have a need to know any other measurements, so I didn't bother with 1-4.

rdwj said:
I used tape to mark off the 5 gallon mark on my primary fermenters. Like the others here, I just measured the water and added it until I was at 5.

I don't really have a need to know any other measurements, so I didn't bother with 1-4.

If you had other measurements you could see what your boil off / sediment loss was. Just a thought.

Gee, I have no idea why I didn't think of that :tank:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like pouring meausred amounts is my best bet.

I stuck my fermometer strip on the carboy so that the top of the strip indicates the 5 gallon mark.

Back