Beer Festival.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been asked to organise a beer festival at my local.

I'm looking at 25-30 cask ales 5ish ciders and 10ish bottled ales.
They normally have 4 cask ales on and are going to 6 regular hand pumps. The rest will be served straight from the cask.
We're looking at mid/end of January.
Beers will be £1.00 for half pint £2.00 a pint. Bottles varied.
There'll be a free food token for any one buying £5.00 worth of beer tokens.

I've been given a room next to the bar to use for the casks and a "what ever you need" budget. The room is un cooled so I'm looking at a large air conditioner and towels for cooling. Bare in mind the average temperature in the UK in January is around 8°C (46°F)

I've been to quite a few beer festivals before but never organised one.

I'm roughly looking at the following.

3 IPA's
3 Milds
5 Stouts/Porters
8 Bitters
5 Ciders
3 Pilsners/Lagers
5 Specials (Blonde's/Fruit/Wheats)

I'm not sure but I'm also thinking of putting on a brewing display and maybe a demo.

The remit is profit would be nice but it is not the main driving force.
If it is successful it's be a bi or tri annual event.

Any ideas, suggestions or pointers?

That sounds fun Orfy. Wish I could attend/help. Who's responsible for making all the beer? You? or just responsible for getting it there?

I attended a CAMRA festival in Brighton last year and it sounds like you're doing a smaller version of one. Sounds great! Perhaps take a cider (presumably apple) off and replace it with a perry?

That sounds fun Orfy. Wish I could attend/help. Who's responsible for making all the beer? You? or just responsible for getting it there?

Local micro breweries and distributors will be supplying and we may go and collect a few.

I'll probably take a few days off work in December and a few days before hand. I'll have the use of 3 or 4 staff and volunteers to help. I have a couple of months to plan before starting things.

We are talking 1600 pints of beer to sell in 5 days.
That means we need around 100 punters per day! Looking at a Friday, Sat, Sun for the event and sell any residual on the Monday Tuesday at £1.80 a pint.

Yes a perry will probably be on with the ciders.

Well I will obviously HAVE to taste them all!
The Festival will officially run for 3 Days.
Most of the beers will be tapped on Friday midday.

30 beers over 3 days isn't so bad it's only 5 pints a day.
I'll probably be taking 1/3rd pints for the ones I'm not fussed about.

Back