Expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2112

Reaction score
So has anyone ever brewed using out of date yeast, and if so, what were the results? I have a braggot that I did yesterday, and pitched some yeast from the LHBS that was about 2 weeks past the expire date. Used 3 tubes and some Fermax nutrient, but I was wondering if anyone else has used old yeast before with success.

Old yeast still have viable cells even several months afterward. Typically you should make a starter with older yeast, but since you used three tubes and yeast nutrient, you should be fine.

I really need to get the stuff to start making starters, but, that is why I went with more tubes, well the high OG was another reason, and I figured some of the fermax couldn't hurt.

I am about to jump into the AG end of the pool, may have to get some beakers for making starters.

Also, how long will harvested yeast keep? Or is there are primer on the forums for yeast harvesting tricks?

Hey, thanks for the link. I figure once I get away from the mini mash stuff, and go AG, and can harvest the yeast, I will be able to save some money on brewing costs!

Back