How much priming sugar per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochowitz

Reaction score
I have recently started kegging (forced carb) however I wish to bottle 12 or so out of the batch for gifts etc. How much priming sugar should I add per 12 oz bottle?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repeat question. Ocho

You shouldn't put your sugar into each bottle. For one, this method is less reliable in terms of how much gets into each bottle. Secondly, I would not use sugar for priming, although you will find a number of brewers posting after me who will claim that using sugar is absolutely fine. I will let them tell you how much to use.

Here is what I do to bottle. I boil 1.25 cups of Dried Malt Extract with a bit of water - a couple of cups. Then I cool this wort and put it into the bottom of my bottling bucket before I siphon my beer into it. After I siphon the beer onto my priming sugar "wort," I give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon. Then, bottle.

This method - even if you decide to use sugar - will more evenly distribute the sugar in the beer.

If you use priming sugar, I believe that you should use .75 cups - three fourths of a cup, but you should get a second opinion on that. It has been years since I've used priming sugar.

Ok fellows you still haven't anwered the question, or do we just put one teaspoon into each bottle ( not reccomended by Palmer)?
I would like to do a few bottles not necissarily 12, so I'd like to know how much water boiled with sugar to use . surely someone has done this.
Prime tabs aren't carried here by the HBS but Coopers drops are . I have tried them and am not satified with the results. I supose I could do the math but I'm lazy and not too sure of my results, just hoping to cash in on someones past experience. thanks.

Yes, it is one teaspoon per bottle. Just measure it carefully.

Plamer advocates bulk priming, but doing just 12 bottles or so, IMO, it would be more trouble than it's worth. It seems like it would easier to just use a dry funnel and put one teaspoon in each bottle.

Lounge Lizard said:
He only wants to do a dozen or so bottles.

Oooops. . . my bad. I seriously missed the part about only bottling a little bit. :confused:

About that other post, . . . we could have had some serious fun with it . . . !! :D

Also from one of my books:

"To prepare a sugar syrup, measure 1 1/2 level cups of corn sugar and exactly one cup of water. Mix in a small saucepan. Stir thoroughly and bring to a simmer. Do not let the mixture boil for more than one minute or too much water will be evaporated away, as this will upset the proportions in the mixture.

After simmering, the volume of the mixture should be twelve fluid ounces. One teaspoon of this mixture will then be equivalent to one teaspoon of dry sugar.

For bulk priming 5 gallons of beer, use 1 - 1 1/4 cups of this syrup. Use 1 - 1 1/4 teaspoons per 12 ounce bottle."

Here's to bulk prime the 12 bottles:

Keg all but 144 oz- 2 cups more than a gallon.
Boil a little water with 8 teaspoons of corn sugar.
Add sugar mixture to beer and bottle 12 bottles.

You could always try out those carb. drops sold by coopers, too. No measuring, may be more consistent than 1 tsp. per bottle

i'm gonna get killed for this...but here it goes...........

I had 11 bottles from the last soda keg I filled. I put 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar....YES TABLE SUGAR.....in each bottle and every of the five i've opened so far (because the soda keg is now empty) all of them have been perfect.

Take it as you will. I'm not sure of the amount you would need for corn sugar.

IGOR (keeping it simple)

4.8 US fluid ounces = 28.8 US teaspoons

So, if you have around 56 bottles and are using around 4.8oz of priming sugar, you should only use 1/2 a tsp.

I agree with clayof2day, for small projects, the tabs are worth the extra few cents. Also, one other option, from the thread "We don't need to stinkin beer gun" they show you an inexpensive way to put force carb'd beer into a bottle using a very common instruments.

I figured out that it's .09375 ounces of corn sugar per 12 ounce bottle if you keep the same ratio you'd use for a 5 gallon batch (1 ounce corn sugar per gallon beer). A teaspoon is one-sixth of an ounce which is .166667 ounces as a decimal. Half a teaspoon is .083333 ounces (one-twelth of an ounce). So a half teaspoon loaded over should be about .09375 ounces of corn sugar. For my first batch that's what I used per each bottle (instead of boiling the sugar and mixing it into the whole batch, and then bottling it. However, when I did this I ended up with quite a bit of sugar leftover from my 5 ounce package of sugar. My beer was also a little flat too. I think this is because even though my math was right, the batch wasn't up to 5 gallons because there was sediment in there. Also, when you're funneling the sugar into each bottle some of it gets stuck on the funnel. I'd definitely say go for the 1 teaspoon of sugar. I've got to bottle two batches that are around 1 gallon each tomorrow and that's what I'm going to do. I just saw that this thread is from 2006...If you're still there what did you end up doing and how did it turn out?

I have the same issue. Tomorrow I'm going to bottle 5 12 ozs bottles (making space to add some fruit).

I going to add 1 level teaspoon of table sugar.

I measured it out and 20 level teaspoons = 1.5 ozs, so I figure my amount is close to 0.8 ozs per gallon, or somewhere close to 2.5 volumes (assumes 70 F for the max temp).

You could always try out those carb. drops sold by coopers, too. No measuring, may be more consistent than 1 tsp. per bottle
If you are talking about "Fermenters Favorites" sugar capsules they suck. I have tried them several times with ZERO carbonation.

When I’m going to have a few bottles to fill after filling a keg, I get the box of domino dots (2.5g sugar cubes) from the cupboard. I fill the bottles, drop one cube in each 12oz bottle (2 for bombers), cap and results have been excellent.

Back