Damaged beermail!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
So FedEx tracking says damaged in transit. Returning to shipper. It was my understanding they toss leaking packages?

I had every bottle in a ziplock bag wrapped in bubble wrap and filled all the void space with shredded paper.

Anyone have this happen? I don't see how it could be damaged to the point of return with out making a mess.

The edge of the box might have ripped open and the contents survived. Then again you might get an empty box and have a happy FedEx guy.

They do get rough with package handling sometimes. The trade I got from remmy had the corner & side of the box scruntched a bit,with one dented can. but they were all intact.
When I ship bottles,each bottle gets wrapped in small bubble wrap & taped. Then into a blue bag right side up. Then into another blue bag upside-down. The box gets lined with some large bubble wrap,then rolled/folded packing paper in the bottom. Baged bottles in,then fold large bubble wrap & more packing paper on the top. Force box flaps closed & tape it shut with FG reinforced tape. This way,they can't hear it slosh either. Then write on all sides "EXTREMELY FRAGILE" with a black marker.

The most aggravating thing is it said out for delivery before that. So I'm picturing them dropping it during delivery.

I would say that its Fed Ex as I've never had a positive experience with them, but any of the carriers are just as bad. I can remember having some Powder and Primers shipped to me via UPS with their hazmat fee tacked on of course due to the dangerous items, then coming out of my house to have the UPS driver throwing my packages out then slamming them all together on my porch to greet him. Then there is this gem this year from a shipment from Sierra Nevada's gift shop arrived this summer..

So really it appears to be luck, I've had some terrible shipments from UPS but they are a high volume carrier for me. USPS is not great as I've had a higher incident of problems though them but my personal experience in both professional and personal use Fed Ex has Never once gotten anything right or to me undamaged.

I anticipate that the worst employees will handle my shippments every time both to me and from me. I'm not saying all employees are terrible but I've had enough damaged to anticipate that the worst things that can happen will.

Over packaged when possible and if it's something that's not covered by your shipper package it again for cushioning.

Pic-06252013-001.jpg

Also remember that FedEx Ground/Home is handled by contractors who get paid by the stop. Where as UPS Ground is actual UPS employees. This can play a large part as to the condition of the packages you receive/send.

They do get rough with package handling sometimes. The trade I got from remmy had the corner & side of the box scruntched a bit,with one dented can. but they were all intact.
When I ship bottles,each bottle gets wrapped in small bubble wrap & taped. Then into a blue bag right side up. Then into another blue bag upside-down. The box gets lined with some large bubble wrap,then rolled/folded packing paper in the bottom. Baged bottles in,then fold large bubble wrap & more packing paper on the top. Force box flaps closed & tape it shut with FG reinforced tape. This way,they can't hear it slosh either. Then write on all sides "EXTREMELY FRAGILE" with a black marker.

I remember that.

What I have been doing since is double-boxing my trades. I just put a box within a box and haven't had any issues thus far. I also like to ship cans whenever possible over glass for obvious reasons.

I generally ship beer in heavy cardboard tubes I get from work. I can wrap a bottle in some bubble wrap and slide it into the tube, and then seal the ends with tape. Those things are nearly bulletproof.

I went through the same thing a few months ago- but I never got my package back or a refund. I think once they realized I was shipping beer, they just decided to ignore me.

From what I understand that's what usually happens. It's just strange that it says its returning to shipper on the tracking.

Although it hasn't had any updates today so maybe they did just discard it.

Yep tracking says its on its way back now. Will arrive Friday. So I'm guessing the box is damaged and bottles are fine. Or I suppose my zip locks saved it from leaking.

Jeeze if only I could track it down and knock him over the head with a champagne bottle haha. I like the live animal seamen specimens haha!

Yeah man. So when you get that package that says semen sample you know what's up.

Back