Nelson Sauvin in a Trippel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I just got some NS hops. Wondering what to do with them.

Thought about doing a Duvel clone, and loading up with NS hops at the end. Maybe 4 ozs spread between 10 minutes to go, and dry hop. Maybe an ounce at 10, and ounce at 5, an ounce after strike-out, and steep for 30 minutes, and an ounce dry.

Never tried NS, so not sure what to expect. Thought it might go well with the pear of the Duvel yeast (and I've got some of the yeast going right now).

Also wondered about combing it with Amarillo, and if it would enhance or hurt it's flavor.

Would like to hear from anyone who has used the hop.

I brew a Saison using NS hops and it is great. Tripels tend to be not very hoppy so used in smaller amounts may just work.

I brew a Saison using NS hops and it is great. Tripels tend to be not very hoppy so used in smaller amounts may just work.

I would class a tripel as a Saison. Maybe it is drier due to the increased use of simple sugars.

A Saison has a much wider variation, but at its base is Pilsner malt and a yeast with lots of flavpor.

Nelson Savin throws a white wine flavor so it should compliment any hops with a fruity profile like Amarillo, Citra, Moteka, Wakatau just to name a few. Not sure I would throw them in a Tripel. This is what I would do...

9# Pale Malt / 2 Row
1# Carapils
1/2# 20L
1 oz NS @ 60 min
1 oz NS @ 15 min
1 oz Citra or Amarillo @ 5 min
US-05 or maybe even 3711 or WLP550

As some one said above, Nelson is awesome in a Saison, My nelson saison was a huge hit this past summer. I'd imagine it'd go very nicely in a tripel (not true to style obviously) just watch your IBUs.

Back