American Porter Founder's Porter Clone - Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
I based my partial mash recipe off of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/any-founders-porter-clone-recipes-info-160119/ But that particular thread is kind of ramshackle, so I am organizing my recipe here.

I'm telling you, this recipe is right on target. Put them side-by-side and I couldn't tell you which one is which - the taste, the color, the mouthfeel. If there's any difference, it's that my yeast is slightly more detectable in the aroma. And the recipe should be good, as the ingredients and proportions came straight from a brewer at Founder's. I simply organized it and converted it to partial mash. They call it a porter, but I found that it fits squarely in the BJCP American Stout category.

Founder's Porter Clone
13-E American Stout

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 70.0%
Calories: 240.03 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.071
Terminal Gravity: 1.021
Color: 30.57 SRM
Alcohol: 6.57%
Bitterness: 50.6 IBU

Malt/Extract:
3.5 lb (30.8%) CBW® Pilsen Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract) - added during boil
4.5 lb (39.6%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
1.25 lb (11.0%) Chocolate Malt - added during mash
1.0 lb (8.8%) Organic Munich - added during mash
8.0 oz (4.4%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash
6 oz (3.3%) Crystal 120 - added during mash
4 oz (2.2%) American Black Patent - added during mash

Hops:
0.75 oz (25.0%) Nugget (12.4% AA) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
0.75 oz (25.0%) Crystal (5.5% AA) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
0.75 oz (25.0%) Willamette (4.0% AA) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Nugget (12.4% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Crystal (5.5% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Willamette (4.0% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m

Yeast:
2 Packs of Fermentis Safale US-05

Notes:
Mash at 154°F for 60 minutes.

Primary at 65°F for 2-3 weeks. Cold crashing really helps clean this beer up as well.

Carb to 2.5 volumes of C02. If bottling, use 4.0 oz of priming sugar per 5 gallons.

And for the visually inclined!

1ueQH.jpg

If bottling, use 4.0 oz of priming sugar per 5 gallons.

Thanks, this recipe looks great! How long does this need to sit in the bottles? I just bottled my first batch (an ipa) which recommended 2 weeks, is it the same for this recipe?

Also, any idea about how much this recipe cost?

Thanks!

Thanks, this recipe looks great! How long does this need to sit in the bottles? I just bottled my first batch (an ipa) which recommended 2 weeks, is it the same for this recipe?

Also, any idea about how much this recipe cost?

Thanks!

I'd give it at least three weeks in the bottle and allow it to clean up a little bit.

As for the cost, I don't have the numbers but I'd guess approximately $25-$30 depending on your source for ingredients.

I'd give it at least three weeks in the bottle and allow it to clean up a little bit.

As for the cost, I don't have the numbers but I'd guess approximately $25-$30 depending on your source for ingredients.

Sounds great, I cant wait to try this! This will be my second brew, so two more beginner question..

1. I seem to only see hops sold in 1 oz increments.. Is this generally the case or am I looking in the wrong places?

2. Pellets or whole hops?

I used pellet hops.

You'll notice for this recipe that if you add up the initial and late additions of each type of hop that they each add up to 1 ounce. To split up the quantities, you can either weigh the hops using a scale or just visually split each ounce into quarters. Since this is a stout, the hops don't play a major role anyway.

JeffersonJ said:
I used pellet hops.

You'll notice for this recipe that if you add up the initial and late additions of each type of hop that they each add up to 1 ounce. To split up the quantities, you can either weigh the hops using a scale or just visually split each ounce into quarters. Since this is a stout, the hops don't play a major role anyway.

Wow I feel foolish, I should have noticed that. This is all great info though. Thank you so much for this recipe and the time you've put into helping me. As a new brewer, this site a phenomenal resource thanks to user like you!

This recipe may be my second partial mash, as my 1st is still fermenting. Will there be a big difference if I only steep for half an hour rather than an hour?

Looks like a nice porter/stout! I was wondering what volumes you used.

1) Volume for the mash
2) Volume for rinsing the grains after mash (sparging?)
3) Volume boiled
4) Any other pertinent volumes I may have forgot

Thanks
Ayup

Looks like a nice porter/stout! I was wondering what volumes you used.

1) Volume for the mash
2) Volume for rinsing the grains after mash (sparging?)
3) Volume boiled
4) Any other pertinent volumes I may have forgot

Thanks
Ayup

I used a BIAB Partial Mash/Full Boil method. It's just the method I've developed over the past few years. I also get roughly 85% efficiency, but I adjusted the recipe to 75% to make it more generic. Nonetheless, here are my volumes:

1) Mash w/ 12 quarts (~1.5 quarts/lb)
2) Dunk sparge w/ 12 quarts
3) If necessary, top off to 23 quarts (assuming .75 lb/hr evaporation rate)

Cool, thanks!

I'm getting ready to brew it this Sunday. Quick question. Why the 2 packets of yeast?

Thanks
Ayup

Cool, thanks!

I'm getting ready to brew it this Sunday. Quick question. Why the 2 packets of yeast?

Thanks
Ayup

Eh, just the way I do :) Not necessarily any reason to do it too.

I'm usually too lazy to rehydrate and based off of Mr. Malty a beer of this gravity needs a little over one packet. I figure for the extra $3 then I'd be on the safe side. Probably silly, but oh well!

OK thanks! I will rehydrate and use one packet. I let you know how it goes for fututre reference :)

Ayup

Hey, so I got my hops for this beer yesterday and got just 1oz of each. I got home and the Crystal is really low in AA%, 2% vs 5.5% in your recipe write up. I calculate to adjust for this that I needed more crsytal hops, obvioulsy, but now the store is closed. What do you think is a good substitute (and amount) from the following that I have in my freezer.

More Willamette
Saaz
Chinook

Thanks
Ayup

Got an OG of 1.062....! Not too bad. If it goes down to 1.020 as stated thats still 5.5% ABV. Would there be anything to stop it going down to 1.020?

Fermenting away nicely at 62°F with one pack rehydrated for about 40mins.

Got an OG of 1.062....! Not too bad. If it goes down to 1.020 as stated thats still 5.5% ABV. Would there be anything to stop it going down to 1.020?

Fermenting away nicely at 62°F with one pack rehydrated for about 40mins.

Nice! I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are so many specialty grains in this beer that it won't finish too low, especially if you keep it fairly cool (around 65 or so).

Fermentation really took off after a couple days. Temperature strip on carboy says between 64-66. Dont know how accurate those things are but I would imagine it to be a little warmer in the middle away from the colder air in the room (60 most of the day).

I was worried it was too brown in colour so I flash chilled some of the blow off beer in the fridge and crashed out the trub and it is a beautiful dark brown/black. Tasted a little and it was great, its only 4 days in and was diluted with sanitizer water too!! I have a feeling this is going to be a great beer....!

I based my partial mash recipe off of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/any-founders-porter-clone-recipes-info-160119/ But that particular thread is kind of ramshackle, so I am organizing my recipe here.

I'm telling you, this recipe is right on target. Put them side-by-side and I couldn't tell you which one is which - the taste, the color, the mouthfeel. If there's any difference, it's that my yeast is slightly more detectable in the aroma. And the recipe should be good, as the ingredients and proportions came straight from a brewer at Founder's. I simply organized it and converted it to partial mash. They call it a porter, but I found that it fits squarely in the BJCP American Stout category.

Founder's Porter Clone
13-E American Stout

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 70.0%
Calories: 240.03 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.071
Terminal Gravity: 1.021
Color: 30.57 SRM
Alcohol: 6.57%
Bitterness: 50.6 IBU

Malt/Extract:
3.5 lb (30.8%) CBW® Pilsen Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract) - added during boil
4.5 lb (39.6%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
1.25 lb (11.0%) Chocolate Malt - added during mash
1.0 lb (8.8%) Organic Munich - added during mash
8.0 oz (4.4%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash
6 oz (3.3%) Crystal 120 - added during mash
4 oz (2.2%) American Black Patent - added during mash

Hops:
0.75 oz (25.0%) Nugget (12.4% AA) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
0.75 oz (25.0%) Crystal (5.5% AA) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
0.75 oz (25.0%) Willamette (4.0% AA) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Nugget (12.4% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Crystal (5.5% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
0.25 oz (8.3%) Willamette (4.0% AA) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m

Yeast:
2 Packs of Fermentis Safale US-05

Notes:
Mash at 154°F for 60 minutes.

Primary at 65°F for 2-3 weeks. Cold crashing really helps clean this beer up as well.

Carb to 2.5 volumes of C02. If bottling, use 4.0 oz of priming sugar per 5 gallons.
Its been a week since I made this. Gravity now at 1.020, still bubbling every 30 secs or so so maybe it will get a little lower....

What temperature do you consider cold crashing? and when/how long would you do it for?

Thanks for any help.
Ayup

Its been a week since I made this. Gravity now at 1.020, still bubbling every 30 secs or so so maybe it will get a little lower....

What temperature do you consider cold crashing? and when/how long would you do it for?

Thanks for any help.
Ayup

Cold crashing is another one of those things that is up to personal preference. A lot of people will tell you that it's not necessary to cold crash a stout, but I find it helps clean up the taste a bit (may just be in my head!).

Anyways, I'd let it ferment for at least two weeks. Then I usually cold crash at about 35-40°F for about two days.

Cold crashing is another one of those things that is up to personal preference. A lot of people will tell you that it's not necessary to cold crash a stout, but I find it helps clean up the taste a bit (may just be in my head!).

Anyways, I'd let it ferment for at least two weeks. Then I usually cold crash at about 35-40°F for about two days.

Great, thanks!

I'll have to see if my neighbour can fit the carboy into his spare fridge. Failing that an ice/water bath in a tote of somekind would have to do.

Cheers.

And for the visually inclined!

1ueQH.jpg

Nice, I'm going to collect the ingredients so I can start this one during the cold weather because I can't keep my batch cold long enough for darker beers. Learned that with a dark ale. thanks for the recipe!!!

I'm going to have to give this a try as I'm a huge fan of Founder's Porter. Will need to do an extract version with steeped specialty grains and I'll have some washed Irish ale yeast from a stout that's currently in the Primary.

Thanks for the post! and if anyone has tried this with an Irish Ale yeast (1084) please let me know how it turned out!

-Exst

Recently made this as my second brew ever. Never had a Founder's beer before, but I heard stellar reviews about them so figured I would give this a shot. I changed up a few of the ingredients based on what was available on morebeer.com. All of these ingredients can be found there. This is the recipe I used:

- 4 1/3 lbs Pilsner LME
- 4 1/2 lbs Rahr 2-Row Malt
- 1 1/4 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 1 lb German Munich Malt
- 1/2 lb Carapils Malt
- 6 oz Crystal 120L Malt
- 4 oz Black Patent Malt

- 1 oz Warrior Hops
- 1 oz Crystal Hops
- 1 oz Willamette Hops

- 1 Pack of Safale US-05

For the brew I followed the exact same instructions as the OP posted. I only used 1 packet of yeast instead of 2. Rehydrated and then pitched and it worked well. Left it in the primary for 4 weeks because I had time to kill, and by the time I bottled it was very clean and tasted AMAZING (and this was pre-carb). I have it sitting in bottles until Christmas Eve, and I have feeling based on what I've tasted pre-carb, this beer is going to be a total knockout. Thanks for the recipe JeffersonJ!

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I was wondering which chocolate malt is used for this recipe. There are quite a few different varieties with significantly different lovibonds, which would produce some noticeably different results at ~9% of the grain bill.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I was wondering which chocolate malt is used for this recipe. There are quite a few different varieties with significantly different lovibonds, which would produce some noticeably different results at ~9% of the grain bill.

I've done a good bit of reading on this recipe and standard chocolate malt 350L is what you want.

You can find more info here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160119

What is the mash-out temp that you've used?

If I forgo mash-out, what temp should my water be while I'm splarging over the grains? I'm assuming 170F, but I wanted to check.

I have this in bottles right now. I took some liberties and bumped up the OG to 1.081 with brown sugar. My FG was 1.022, giving it a 7.7% punch in the face. I otherwise adhered to the recipe exactly.

Can't wait to try it. I took a sip during bottling and it was REALLY good.

Back