60 or 90 minutes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvc15

Reaction score
As I become more experienced and read more I have seen a lot more reference to 90 minute boils. I have been working on IPA's and Pale Ale Extract with some grains steeping. I have been told 60 minutes it the right time.

Are there advantages for each?
Is 90 minute for a full grain boil?

Thanks!

As I become more experienced and read more I have seen a lot more reference to 90 minute boils. I have been working on IPA's and Pale Ale Extract with some grains steeping. I have been told 60 minutes it the right time.

Are there advantages for each?
Is 90 minute for a full grain boil?

Thanks!

90 minutes isn't all that common, even for an AG batch. But generally, yes, AG brewers are the only ones who would do a 90 minute boil, like in the case of using mostly pilsner malt which requires a longer boil to release SMMs (DMS precursors).

Typically you will hear about 90 minute boils for all grain brewers that either a) have some pilsner malt in their grain bill or b) boil longer to hit their SG on high gravity beers (e.g. barley wine).

Longer boils drive off DMS precursors, a common off flavor for beers with a significant >=50 % pilsner malt.

There is no need to do longer boils for extract + grain brews because the extract has already been boiled; in fact a lot of brewers put half or more of their extract in at the end of the boil.

90 minutes isn't all that common, even for an AG batch. But generally, yes, AG brewers are the only ones who would do a 90 minute boil, like in the case of using mostly pilsner malt which requires a longer boil to release SMMs (DMS precursors).

Damnit yooper... Beat me to it. Surprised? No....

There is no need to do longer boils for extract + grain brews because the extract has already been boiled; in fact a lot of brewers put half or more of their extract in at the end of the boil.

I split my extracts with my partial extract brewing. Since I am doing a partial boil, I add half at the beginning at the rest at the end of the boil. I saw on a youtube video that if you add all the LME or DME at the very beginning , it messes with the characteristics of the hops.

edit: The video was by a guy who calls himself Craigtube on youtube
By the way A Clockwork Orange is a great movie!

Longer boils will allow sugars to caramelize. This means a darker color, different flavors but most important less fermentable sugars. This will result in more residual sweetness and greater mouthfeel.

I've done 20 minute boils (extract lager) up to 120 minute boils (barleywine). For "normal" beers I always do 70.

I could try 50 and keep pushing it until I notice a difference but that would mean recalculating everything and using more hops so i won't bother.

I boil longer when I'm brewing above 1.065. I do AG and do better hitting my sg collecting more wort and boiling a little longer on high gravity beers.

evolcoms said:
I split my extracts with my partial extract brewing. Since I am doing a partial boil, I add half at the beginning at the rest at the end of the boil. I saw on a youtube video that if you add all the LME or DME at the very beginning , it messes with the characteristics of the hops.

edit: The video was by a guy who calls himself Craigtube on youtube
By the way A Clockwork Orange is a great movie!

Craig is great guy. Not to knowledgable in ag but a very nice helpful guy. Talk to him here and there. Cheers.

Back