2013 Homebrewing Resolutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveganbrewer

Reaction score
2012 is nearing an end and a new year of brewing will soon be upon us. While some of us may be seasoned veterans, others mere beginners, we all could probably benefit from improving in 2013.

So what are your homebrewing resolutions for the coming year? Will you improve a technique, move into a new style, learn about yeast, or something else?

My 2013 homebrewing resolutions are to:

• Brew 5 new styles in 2013
  • Enter at least 1 beer in a competition
  • Create, brew, and perfect 1 house beer
  • Create a brewery name, logo, and labeling

- Brew the second batch of my gueuze project on time
- Develop a Brett IPA from my house IPA recipe and hopefully get in on tap commercially
- If I don't get to it this year, brew 15g of Flanders Red, using three different yeast blends
- Do more split batches to compare different yeasts and different dry hops side-by-side
- Get a single tier brew stand
- Finally upgrade my mash tun to 10g
- Hopefully upgrade to a bigger kegerator so that I can use my existing one for extra fermentation space
- Play with unusual woods (cherry, Spanish Cedar, Hickory)
- Make a great Orange Blossom mead
- Make it to my first NHC. Maybe even enter a few beers into the competition again.

Maybe getting some new equipement,I already got a headstart on that so far. Want a 2.5 gal keg system and 02 regulator-but since recently having a bubbler/stone now, I think the keg may more a priority. Mellow out on the craft beer so I can brew more- I think Im getting to the point where its rare I havent tried something new that I can find without driving 90 miles to get something(except alot of floyds stuff). Although I always like getting all the current seasonals/harvest ales. Clean and organize my basement-its a mess of boxes and craploads of bottles/sixer carriers. Enter a few competitions. Make better beer than before,and am pretty shure its going that way so far. Brew some clones of my favorate beers maybe.
Think Im more comfortable brewing about once a month now. Took a break for the summer but Im looking forward to brewing more this winter.
Oh,and I would like to brew locally grown malted barley and hops,at least someday. I was hoping to grow some hops but they arrived DOA-and was pure root-rot fail. I was suspisious of the nubs easily falling off and the heat they were sent in,not to mention late season last picks. My fail.

Install 220 in garage and build a herms or rims (Leaning towards herms)
Buy 4 - 15gal plastic conicals and make internal chilling coil system for them.
Eat less and drink more beer.

To finally clamp down on what is missing that is keeping me from making the best beer ever made. And then, after this success, to lose interest in the hobby and move on to building model airplanes.

I've been brewing just over as year now and there are plenty of resolutions that need resolving.

#1 Brew more, Worry less.

#2 Fermentation Temperature Control.

#3 Sweet, beautiful kegs.

Those I believe are most important for me.

My Brew Years Resolution:

1. Brew more beer (always having a homebrew to drink)
2. Dumb it down from IPAs and explore more. I love them too much
3. Start All Grain Brewing (might be getting a lautering system for Christmas)
4. Work on opening up a nanobrewery/mini brewpub
5. Enter a brew competition
6. Study to become a Certified Cicerone
7. Motivate and educate more friends to join in on the movement

Good luck with everyone's Resolutions!

Brew a steinbeer, .

Me too! I pulled out some granite stones I used in my aquarium years ago. I mention this as the idea of aquarium stones is a bit off putting, but hey... they're gonna be literally 'fired up'. Btw it was years ago, perhaps 8, when these rocks were used.

My only resolution is to brew.

- go all grain
- brew at least once a month
- brew and perfect a MO/Goldings SMaSH bitter
- perfect bounty-in-arse (my house mild) as an all grain

1- learn and make yeast starters

2- learn how to wash yeast.

3- brew outside for the 1st time.

1. Make space in the room next to my garage to install a sink and set up to do the entire brew process in the garage. Currently I store everything and ferment, rack and bottle there but the lack of room and a sink make the mashing/boiling process difficult.

2. Set up a formal storage area in same room for equipment, supplies and beer.

3. Work further on the consistency of my house IPA and Russian Imperial Stout. Develop two more house brews, one around 5 ABV and more subtle than my two existing. Perhaps an amber or an APA. One a Belgian Golden Strong. Consistency is the key here. Better temperature control in mash and fermentation. Insulation for keggle and insulated and cooled fermentation chamber.

4. Get more sours brewing for experience and blending.

5. Brew at 5-10 gallons a month.

Love this thread!

1. Plastic conical
2. Build strut single-tier brew rig
3. Acquire & fill used barrel
4. NHC PHILLY!
5. BJCP certification
6. Medal with at least 3 different beers

Revisit my barleywine recipe and properly age it this time.

Drink more craft beer for research....took up a "new beer a day" policy a few months ago and have kept it up...

-get myself an oxygen tank and a microscope.
-improve my water chemestry knowledge and get my RO system.
-try to keep brewing once a week
-Maybe enter a competion? I´m not sure about this one.
-make great beer

1. get my ferm chamber built (already have the temp controller).
2. brew more often, at least 1x/month, hopefully more like 2.
3. get a sour beer going.
4. find a way to scrape together enough cash for a kegging setup. even one tap line to start would be better than bottling everything.
5. learn to brew with liquid yeast, including harvesting, washing, starters, all that good stuff.

In no order of importance:

Brew styles that I haven't before - especially German styles!
-German Pilsner
-Vienna Lager
-Munich Dunkel
-Munich Helles
-Schwarzbier
-Dopplebock
-Berliner Weisse
-Belgian Wit
-100% Brett Trois IPA
-Session IPA

Judge/help in more competitions.
-Assist my local club as the assistant organizer for the regional NHC round
-Go/host continuing education classes for judges

Expand my sour beer pipeline.
-Gueuze is about to be blended
-10 gallon lambic brew day

Get REALLY good at saisons
-I finally got a saison to turn out, so I must brew more! Perhaps a Saison w/ Brett % tart cherries? I was inspired by a club member. :)

As a side note, here are my 2012 resolutions:
Mine is about the same, but I want to make GREAT beer. I've had a few great ones, but most are just good.

Along those same lines:
  • Get total control of fermentation temperature.
  • Brew several beers for the NHC.
  • Brew new (to me) beer styles while I'm at it.

Check, check and check! :)

Great thread and great goals for the new year! :mug:

I'm usually not one for resolutions, so I'll call this my Brew Plan for the year:

- Try my hand at a traditional spruce ale (inspired by Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce from Yards Brewery)
- Better control fermentation temps
- Enter my first competition
- Brew well, live well, don't sweat the small stuff

Brew Years Resolutions:

• Brew more beer
  • Go All Grain
  • Brew one of every style
  • Buy/build more gear, especially kegging and keezer

Finish the kegging setup

Brew some specific styles.

Brew a great beer for a local home brewers dinner

Enter a competition

Yeast starters

Attempt a lager

1. Brew more beer (especially various styles that I have not brewed before).
2. Find more beer loving friends to drink the additional beer that I will brew in #1.
3. Loose another 50 pounds (I'm down 52 since august already :ban:, but the next 50 will be much harder due to #1 unless #2 actually happens).
4. Enter some competitions so I can get more feedback on my beer.

#1 Go All-grain!

#2 Venture into some other styles. I love Stouts but there are many a beers out there that I could do. I'd like to try a Barleywine, or Dubbel. I've got a Scotch Ale on deck but I should prolly do something a little lighter as well for those of my friends that don't like the super heavy things that I like.

KurtB said:
2. Find more beer loving friends to drink the additional beer that I will brew in #1.
3. Loose another 50 pounds (I'm down 52 since august already :ban:, but the next 50 will be much harder due to #1 unless #2 actually happens).

Good luck on your #3 goal. I'm attempting to loose some weight and maintain my brewing habits as well.

Finish building my herms system/ gathering equipment now
Join a club
move on to brew Imperial IPA's and Stouts
Brew a Scottish Ale
Move to bulk buy grains and hops
Grind my own grains

ITS ALL ABOUT SAVING $$$$

Darrell

I fit into the #2 spot LOL

Darrell

-Transition to all-grain
-Brew more than I did this year (only 8 batch so far but may squeeze in one more before the 31st)
-Make an oktoberfest lager
-Start washing/harvesting yeast
-Join brew club

1.) Get rid of the fruity taste in my beer.
2.) Organize and solidify a "process".
3.) Build a keezer.

Stop smoking so I can pay for all of the above.

Back