Anyone tried Cola bottles ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious - has anyone tried those 12oz cola glass bottles for beer ? I want to have my lagers in clear bottles, so the other day I capped one of the empty 12oz cola bottles to test it and the cap seems to fit just fine. But not sure if it will work OK for actual bottling. Has anyone tried ?

They work great, no probs. I also have some 'stealth stout' in them right now. Keep them out of the light though.

I've used the Mexican Coke bottles. I've got about a dozen of them and my bench capper works fine on them. As long as they're not for long term storage they're fine. And a stout or porter in one of them looks just like the Real Thing.

brewers-assistant said:
What do you use to take the paint off ?

easiest is a clr soak.. I do 5:1 ratio.. I have over 100 corona bottles I've done for my wines.. I've used the same solution for months, probably 50 bottles.. I use the cheesy puff container and do 9 bottles at a time ;) now if someone can get the paint off the red stripe bottles easily I would like to know.. soaked one of thoes puppies for a month in acetone and it didn't even touch it :mug:

easiest is a clr soak.. I do 5:1 ratio.. I have over 100 corona bottles I've done for my wines.. I've used the same solution for months, probably 50 bottles.. I use the cheesy puff container and do 9 bottles at a time ;) now if someone can get the paint off the red stripe bottles easily I would like to know.. soaked one of thoes puppies for a month in acetone and it didn't even touch it :mug:

Good to know, I tried the starsan soak and dry on my coronas (found the advice in another thread) and it didn't quite do it. I'll try this 5:1 CLR next.

Latest posts

Back