no carbonation after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
I put put 3 oz of sugar in my 2 gallon batch kept it at 55 degrees for a week than put it in fridge let it set another week. still no carbonation.

Yea 55F is pretty low, yeast won't be very active (are you lagering?). At 70F you should see some carbonation in 2 weeks for sure.

Also what are you looking for as signs of carbonation? Head in your beer? Popping noise when you open the bottle? I've had a few bottles that didn't "pop" or have much head, but there was still CO2 bubbles in the beer. Tasted fine.

Even if you lager, you will eventually Carb in a bottle . Right?

Maybe. It depends on the yeast strain. A lager yeast may, while an ale yeast will certainly not.

But bringing it up to room temperature will allow it to carb, and then the bottle can be cold stored ("lagered") if someone wants to do that.

I'm thinking it is Saflager 34/70 lager strain. Ideal fermenting temp is 54F. But for carbonating I would think it would be a bit warmer.

Back