Will Dry Hopping change the FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could or should dry hopping produce a higher gravity reading than prior to dry hopping? Has anyone seen their gravity go higher after dry hopping?

If you get a higher FG, your hydro is probably sitting on a hop.

No, hops cannot change gravity readings as they contain no sugar.

If you get a higher FG, your hydro is probably sitting on a hop.

No, hops cannot change gravity readings as they contain no sugar.

While I know this, I am groping to find a reason for why my gravity went from 1.013 to 1.018, from when I racked to 2ndry to when I bottled, respectively.

The only smoking gun that can be the cause is the hydrometer. The first reading was with hydrometer A, which took a dive and committed suicide. The 2nd reading was with with hydrometer B. I reckon its possible they aren't calibrated the same, but 5 points seems like a serious error. I do correct for temp on all of my readings and made sure they were calibrated to the same temp. It just doesn't make sense.

Either way, when I bottled and took that 2nd reading I smelled and tasted the brew and IT IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Hell, if I just chilled it I would be happy drinking it flat!

Any other thoughts would be great, but honestly I am not gonna sweat this one. The proof is in the bottle!

was the second reading after adding priming sugar, cuz that'd do it.

Back