Philly Bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
I will be going do to Philly on Nov 20th and I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could drink/buy Russian River beers? Also any ideas on good beer bars?

Can't buy RR in PA, sorry. RR kegs are sometimes available at Monk's if you are very lucky. Monk's is a beer geek place. Also check out Tria for a good beer selection, both locations are a bit trendy, but good selections. Noddinghead gets my nod for a brew pub with locally made beer in downtown Philly. The Foodery is the place to stop in to buy a few unique bottles or bombers to take home. Victory or Dogfishead are the craft breweries to go to if you can travel outside of Philly. All should come up on google. Enjoy Philly!

I talked to the people at The Beeryard in Wayne, PA and they have Damnation in Bottles and also the Foodery is listed as having Damnation and Consecration.

Well, you didn't say the Philly burbs......The Beeryard are good guys and if you make it out to Wayne also check out Teresa's Next Door. Another beer geek place with a good selection. And since you are in the neighborhood, go out to TJ's in Paoli. Also worth a stop in.

The Foodery website never matches up to their stock. It varies week by week.

I just had Pliny the Elder on tap at Theresa's in Wayne this past weekend. They also had Damnation (i think), but they definitely had 2 RR beers on tap.
They had 21st Amendment's Black IPA, too.

I have been to Monk's and Theresa's and you can't go wrong with either.

Also any ideas on good beer bars?

Oh lordy are there ever... Sorry for listing anything that got mentioned already.

Monks Cafe - 16th & spruce - THE place to go for beer, particularly Belgians. Food is great, but be prepared to wait a long time for a table.

Nodding Head - Sansom St between 15th and 16th. Good food, good home made beer.

Good Dog - 15th Street somewhere between Chestnut and Pine. Lots of regional beer, food is good too.

Eulogy - Chestnut and 2nd. Sorta like Monks, but food isn't as good.

North Third - 3rd and Brown.

The Abbaye - 3rd and Fairmount

The Standard Tap - 2nd and Poplar

McGillians - 1310 Drury Street - Oldest operational bar in Philadelphia, a bit of a college atmosphere, but they have good beer on tap.

Other ones that I've heard are good bars but have not been to: Silk City, South Philadelphia Tap Room, Side Car Cafe, Atlantis Bar.

If you're in town on a saturday between 12 and 3, head over to Philadelphia Brewing Company and/or Yards Brewing Company for free tastings.

Capone's in Norristown has it on tap friday.

They have a really nice black friday line up actually

It's about 30-45 mins out of the city, if you'll have access to a car. You can get there by bus, but you'd likely have to change buses at least once, depending on where you're coming from.

224 W Germantown Pike
Norristown, PA 19401
(610) 279-4748

Beer Valley Black Flag Imperial Stout 08 New Holland Dragon's Milk

Bells Expedition Stout Southern Tier Cuvee Series #2

Nogne O Porter Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter

Fullers London Porter Ballast Point Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Porter

Founders Hand of Doom 06 Stone Brandy Barrel Aged Double Bastard

Ommegang Rouge 2004 Cantillon Iris

06 Stoudts Old Abominable Pizza Port Brewing Older Viscosity

Stone/Brewdog Bashah Sierra/DogFish Life & Limb

Troegs Mad Elf 2007 Victory Yakima Twilight

Allagash/Struisse Fedelta 2008 Brasserie De La Senne Equinox

Cigar City Marshall Zhukov's RIS DogFish Head Burton Baton

Stoudts Imperial Pumpkin South Hampton Double White

Roy Pitz Lay Down Stay Down Bear Republic Rebellion

Hopfenstark Post coloniale IPA Russian River Pliny the Elder

Ballast Point Sculpin Southern Tier PumKing ???????

Hell, if I were in town, I'd even off you a ride. Unfortunately, I'm in Tampa for the weekend.

Monk's downtown has/had Damnation this week, but not pliny. I checked a few other tap lists, and didn't see the elder anywhere.

I enjoy Devil's Den, Local 44, and Memphis Taproom as well, depending on what part of the city I happen to be in, if you're just looking for a generally good beer bar.

Thanks. I actually never even made it in to philly because of all the wedding things that we had to do. Maybe next time.

where do people find out when Pliny is on tap? i only hear faint whisperings from a friend of a friend and then its usually gone

I usually check the websites of some of the bars that might put it on tap. I check Theresa's Next Door, Monk's Cafe, and Capone's. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any set time of year when they put it on tap.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add a bar to the burbs list. firewaters in Glen Mills has 50 beers on tap and has had Pliny on tap every time I have been there. It is behind Hooters on route one and is worth checking out if you are in the area.

i actually live right by firewaters, never went there though because its a little "clubby" but i did go, had a pliny or two and left

I went to a Founders dinner at the South Philly Tap Room back in June. 10 courses paired with 10 beers... it was one of the best nights out I've ever had without exageration. KBS paired with pecan ice cream and cookie to finish the night off. I hope they do this again this year!

Back