Doing mash the night before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing an AG mash tonight, letting the wort sit in the pot over night and then starting the boil in the morning. Has anyone tried this? Any ill-effects?

I know it is probably not advised, but I only have a couple of hours to spare tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should start the mash tonight to save time or not. Thoughts?

I'm thinking maybe this would work if you heated the wort to something like 180. (When they pasteurize milk they don't heat it to boiling) High enough temp to kill the bugs and denature enzymes?

Lots of folks do it successfully, including several folks on here, and the owners of my LHBS, and several folks on Basic Brewing Radio if I recall correctly. If you are using a cooler mashtun and wrap it in a sleeping bag and keep it in a warm place then there will be very little temp loss, and NO risk of souring.

If you look down you will see 1 thread in the similar threads box, and I know there are several more. So do some digging.

One of the owners of my LHBS does this. He mashes and lauters into his brew kettle at night, puts the lid on the kettle, and brews the next morning.

Well, I'm not mashing overnight. I'm doing the mash and then putting it into my brew kettle for the wort to sit overnight.

Revvy: thanks for pointing out the thread suggestion, I couldn't find it in the search. It's too late to do it now and I'll just have to wake up extra early to do the mash. Got to go to a family gathering at 4 p.m. I wonder if I can finish an AG batch, chill it, and pop it in a carboy in time. It's my first AG batch (and 2nd batch ever) so this should be interesting lol. I just know that my mashing and wort-gathering will probably end up taking 2-3 hours due to some unknown reason as of right now. It's my first time using my build mash tun as well. Hope this thing will work okay, haha.

I'm thinking about doing an AG mash tonight, letting the wort sit in the pot over night and then starting the boil in the morning. Has anyone tried this? Any ill-effects?

I know it is probably not advised, but I only have a couple of hours to spare tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should start the mash tonight to save time or not. Thoughts?

I do this all of the time with no problems.

I have done this a few times. I don't do a mashout either. My beer turned out as if I had done it all in one day. There was no 'super fermentable wort' or souring.

I mashed in the evening, then the next morning I started the boil before I made my coffee.

Back