Dos Equis Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a quick google search for Dos Equis Amber All Grain gave me this as the 1st result. Pick an appropriate yeast & go light on the hops and you're golden.

Dos Equis Clone All-Grain Recipe
Beer Style: amber lager, Vienna
Recipe Type all-grain
Description:
Ingredients:

* 3.3 pounds 6-row malt (1.6L)
* 1.1 pound 2-row malt (1.2L)
* 1/3 pound Munich malt (9.7L)
* 1/4 pound crystal malt (80L)
* Hallertauer hops
* yeast

Alternatively, you could urinate in a bottle...;)

Austin Homebrew sells the kit for this one. Haven't tried it but I've brewed 3 of their other AG kits and they were great. I usually get a Dos Equis Amber on draft at our local Mexican food joint and I do enjoy them. Strangely enough, I bought a 6-pack a week ago and it tasted terrible out of the bottles.....:confused:

Urinate in a bottle? Are you kidding me? Dos Equis and Negro Modelo are two great german vienna-style lagers made in mexico. People that talk **** about them must not like vienna lagers or any other fine german lager.

I must admit, however, every beer I tasted last time I visited Minnesota tasted less than impressive, including Dos Equis. I'm thinking it must be crappy storage conditions. Perhaps it's the same deal in Colorado?

BTW, that recipe looks decent. I'd think there would be more munich malt (at least a couple of pounds) or perhaps some vienna, but it still should be good.

Alternatively, you could urinate in a bottle...;)

Um...I beg to differ...Vienna (or amber) lagers are NOT fizzy yellow piss beer..they are really malty somewhat dark beers with awesome flavor..
If your pee's this dark and reddish, then methinks, you need to see a doctor. :D

xx.jpg

They are more like an Amber ALE than a budweiser.

I just got into the style and have drunk several version, and just brewed my first batch.

3A. Vienna Lager

Aroma: Moderately rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light toasted malt aroma may be present. Similar, though less intense than Oktoberfest. Clean lager character, with no fruity esters or diacetyl. Noble hop aroma may be low to none. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Appearance: Light reddish amber to copper color. Bright clarity. Large, off-white, persistent head.

Flavor: Soft, elegant malt complexity is in the forefront, with a firm enough hop bitterness to provide a balanced finish. Some toasted character from the use of Vienna malt. No roasted or caramel flavor. Fairly dry finish, with both malt and hop bitterness present in the aftertaste. Noble hop flavor may be low to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, with a gentle creaminess. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately crisp finish. May have a bit of alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: Characterized by soft, elegant maltiness that dries out in the finish to avoid becoming sweet.

Comments: American versions can be a bit stronger, drier and more bitter, while European versions tend to be sweeter. Many Mexican amber and dark lagers used to be more authentic, but unfortunately are now more like sweet, adjunct-laden American Dark Lagers.

History: The original amber lager developed by Anton Dreher shortly after the isolation of lager yeast. Nearly extinct in its area of origin, the style continues in Mexico where it was brought by Santiago Graf and other Austrian immigrant brewers in the late 1800s. Regrettably, most modern examples use adjuncts which lessen the rich malt complexity characteristic of the best examples of this style. The style owes much of its character to the method of malting (Vienna malt). Lighter malt character overall than Oktoberfest, yet still decidedly balanced toward malt.

Ingredients: Vienna malt provides a lightly toasty and complex, melanoidin-rich malt profile. As with Oktoberfests, only the finest quality malt should be used, along with Continental hops (preferably noble varieties). Moderately hard, carbonate-rich water. Can use some caramel malts and/or darker malts to add color and sweetness, but caramel malts shouldn’t add significant aroma and flavor and dark malts shouldn’t provide any roasted character.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.046 – 1.052
IBUs: 18 – 30 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 10 – 16 ABV: 4.5 – 5.5%

Commercial Examples: Great Lakes Eliot Ness (unusual in its 6.2% strength and 35 IBUs), Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

Dos Equis may not be the BEST representation of the style, BUT don't ever confuse them with fizzy yellow bmc....Vienna's are freaking fantastic..especially Elliot Ness, August Schell's Firebrick, and even Trader Joe's....

(And hopefully mine as well)

Mine is
8# Vienna
1# Caramunich (56 SRM)
8 ounces of Crystal 60l
1.35 ounces of Hallertauer @ 60...

Urinate in a bottle? Are you kidding me? Dos Equis and Negro Modelo are two great german vienna-style lagers made in mexico. People that talk **** about them must not like vienna lagers or any other fine german lager.

I must admit, however, every beer I tasted last time I visited Minnesota tasted less than impressive, including Dos Equis. I'm thinking it must be crappy storage conditions. Perhaps it's the same deal in Colorado?

MMMM the best Modellos I ever had were bought down in Ensenada for like5 bucks a case, hauled by small motorboat to our camp on a sandbar and drank with fish tacos from halibut caught a half hour before and fried on the beach and served with lime and cabbage...heaven on earth.

I would drop all the 6 and 2 row and go with exclusively vienna and munich as a base malt...

Mine was based on the info from this basic brewing podcast.

December 29, 2005 - Vienna Lagers
We talk to Chris Colby of Brew Your Own magazine about Vienna Lagers, a style favored south of the border. Chris takes us through the style and how to make great Vienna lagers at home.

Clicky to listen, Mp-3

Back