Question about honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
I am about to start brewing my third batch, a nut and honey brown ale extract kit. I was reading the instructions and it says to add the honey after I remove it from the boil and stir very well. Wouldnt this increase the chance of hot side aeration? I was thinking it would be better to maybe heat up a gallon of water and disolve the honey into that and then add it to my fermenter. Since I will be topping off the fermenter anyway it wouldnt add any extra water to it. What do you guys think?

Edit:
One other question. It gives me the option I can either add the aromatic hops with 2 minutes left in the boil or I can dry hop them. Which would be better?

I was thinking it would be better to maybe heat up a gallon of water and disolve the honey into that and then add it to my fermenter. QUOTE]

That sounds like a great plan. I don't know if you would just want to add honey to cooling wort without making sure all the microbes are dead. Now havng said that honey is one substance that one never really has to worry about wild microbes growing in because of it's extrteme hypertonic state which litterally pulls all the life out of microbes.

I would do like you said except I would add the honey/water mixture to the wort and then cool, add your top off water, then stir or shake like crazy to aerate the wort which you want to do anyway. This will also dissolve the honey.

Ok so how about my second question. Should I put in the aromatic hops in 2 minutes before end of boil or should I dry hop?

I was reading the instructions and it says to add the honey after I remove it from the boil and stir very well. Wouldnt this increase the chance of hot side aeration?

Aeration before pitching the yeast is not the worst thing in the world as the yeast have to use oxygen to produce CO2. It's part of their diet if you will. Now aeration after fermentation, that's a whole different ball game and not encouraged as it will induce off flavors and premature (and rapid) aging of the beer.

Back