How to: Whirlpool WAR488BSL Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordmulgath

Reaction score
I joined up after reading through here. I found a lot of great info, but no how to build a Kegerator with the Whirlpool WAR488BSL Fridge. I chose it because there is no freezer, no lines through the top, readily available to me and it looks really nice. I think it's the cousin to one of the danby models.

Anyway so here's the quick how to on building a kegerator from one.

Remove the top panel by removing the screws from the back and front under above the door (door has to be open for this to work.
7298892608_e1c22b3e57_b_d.jpg

Loosen the bolts on the top and remove the door.
7298893336_7272a4e41f_b_d.jpg

Undo the screws located under the rubber seal around the perimeter of the door panel
7298897394_dcbdd71d4e_b.jpg

once the door panel is removed use it as a cutting and drilling guide for cutting the replacement plastic panel
7298898860_16a55d3548_b_d.jpg

7298900006_908bdaa6df_b_d.jpg

Re-assemble the door with the new panel and set asside. It will make working on the rest of the fridge a lot easier.

I went with the copper cooling jackets for the lines going into the tower rather than the blower unit some people have chosen. I created some L shaped copper pipes from a pair of T's and a short length of copper pipe. The extra Copper should act as a better thermal sink, as well as allowing me something to easily fix them in place
7298902956_f2dd344850_b_d.jpg

Detach the thermostat from the top of the fridge and push to one side. This is only to allow clearance for the drilling of the holes in the top. It will be re installed in it's original location.

Re-install the top plastic panel with only a few screws in the back to keep it in place while you drill.

Drill a 1-1/4" Hole (used a hole saw) on the centerline of the fridge 5-3/4" from the back of the fridge. I suggest measuring and double checking this to make sure you don't hit the cooling element in the back of the fridge.

Using the supplied Gasket as a drill template drill the bolt holes (5/16") I suggest taping the surface you're drilling to prevent scratches to the show surface.
7298904384_0ddb9deea6_b_d.jpg

Remove the top cover and re-install the door. Once that is back on, re-attach the top panel completely, using all 6 screws.

Install the Tower. I recommend using fender washers on the bottom of your bolts to spread the load as best as possible. At this point I inserted the copper cooling jackets for my build, turns out they stay jammed up in there without the aid of tape/zip ties/screws/foam.
7298906192_4f4e4ba72d_b_d.jpg

Re install the thermostat on stock mounting points, and hook up the rest of your system, and enjoy! I'm between batches at the moment but to make sure everything fit here's the pics of the finished product!

7298916210_2eca0ed7ae_b_d.jpg

7298914698_475ee99037_b_d.jpg

7298915420_4162787682_b_d.jpg

7298916858_940d9ae76d_b_d.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else looking to use this fridge as a build.

If the pictures don't work for you check out my flickr page to see them, they should be order of the build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64198566@N07/sets/72157629961450022/

Very cool, but you should fix your photo links. It is hard to follow without the photos.
The links won't work if you link to the photo page on Flickr. You need the actual path to the photos themselves.

Normally the photo link will look like this : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7298897394_dcbdd71d4e_b.jpg

Very interested to see it all together.

Thanks you soooo much. I spent a long time fighting with those pictures to get them to embed right with no luck.

Looks like these fridges aren't available anymore. Where did you get yours? Also: what regulator are you using? I'm using a cheapo regulator on a 5lb tank and it's pretty big. I'm not sure it would fit in there.

Will the co2 cartridge fit in fridge behind kegs?

Looks like these fridges aren't available anymore. Where did you get yours? Also: what regulator are you using? I'm using a cheapo regulator on a 5lb tank and it's pretty big. I'm not sure it would fit in there.

I got the fridge at Canadian tire on sale.

I use a 5lb CO2 tank and a cheep-o regulator and they fit back there just fine. Actually if you look at the 3rd last picture, you can just see the top of the valve on the CO2 tank above the left keg.

The copper tubes have helped a fair amount with the foaming, but they aren't perfect. There is still a slight excess of foam on the first glass poured out of it.

I just finished running my first full keg through it, and it has been wonderful. I do need to start putting clamps on the lines I use. :drunk::D

Wow how perfect is this, I just found this fridge on kijiji. Going to get ahold of the guy today. Please let me know which type of corny kegs you are using. Is it the Pepsi or Coke? I'm about to purchase the coke style kegs9" x 22", again off of kijiji for a decent price. Maybe both sizes will fit in this fridge.

I just finished my dual tap kegerator build using this mini fridge. Newer models (although it has the same model #) have different door setups. No screws under gasket; inside door panel is held only by existing foam insulation.

Note: 2 pin-lock kegs do not naturally fit in this mini fridge. There are plastic ledges protruding from the sides that prevent them from fitting. I used a dremel tool to cut these protrusions out and epoxied the hole. This allowed both my pin-lock kegs and my 5lb CO2 tank (and regulator) to all fit, but JUST BARELY.

I love the way mine came out and if anyone pursues to convert using this fridge, feel free to message me for any help or insight/tips. The OP of this thread gave me great guidance; thank you lordmulgath.

Back