Amber extract for gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
My lhbs only had muntons amber extract. No gold.

The esb i am making says gold.

Will there be much difference?

Well, it would be a bit darker and have a touch more body and residual sweetness, not necessarily a bad thing. What was the total recipe? Any steeping grains?

Here is their recipe.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 1lbsEnglishMediumCrystal
FERMENTABLES
- 3.15lbsGoldmaltsyrup(60min)
- 3.15lbsGoldmaltsyruplateaddition(15min)
- 1lbsBriessGoldenLightdrymaltextractlateaddition(15min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 2ozWillamette(60min)
- 1ozUKKentGoldings(15min) - 1ozUKKentGoldings(1min)
YEAST
WYEAST1968LONDONESBYEAST

With the malt substitution you could go either with or without the 1# crystal. Without it would look closer to the original, and taste pretty close... but lack the bit of depth of character the crystal gives... OR you could use the crystal and it would look bit darker and be ever so slightly sweeter and have more malt flavor.

Either way it isn't going to be EXACTLY the same beer as the original recipe, but will be a good beer whichever way you choose to go.

For my taste, I would use the crystal. In fact, with the Munton and Fison Amber malt extract this becomes the recipe that I have given to a number of beginning brewers and they were all very happy with the outcome. :)

Yeah that sounds good to me. Ill go for it.

Will this be like fullers esb?

Hmmm I haven't had Fuller's in probably 15 years at least. Memory is cloudy. This will be a bit richer, deeper amber colored, maltier that Fuller's IIRC

Back