Blizzard Nimo may have ruined my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRussMeister

Reaction score
Predicted to get 20+ inches of now from Friday to Saturday. Had my brew day planned for Saturday morning. I have no qualms brewing in the snow, but last time I did, there was less and I ended up having to dump hot water on my propane tank every five minutes to keep it going. I don't know if it would be worth brewing if the boil won't be consistent, but I'm already in brew mode...

So, what should I do with my possibly shot brew day? I am open to suggestions!

Cheers.

I had been having problems with my propane tank freezing up. Just bought a rubber 20 gallon trash can, cut the top 1/3 off and put the tank in that. I then put room temperature water in the bucket, and ddin't have any problems with the tank freezing.

If a blizzard is predicted then it means high winds. That is worse than the cold.... at least in my brewing situation. I'd stock up on some beer and chili, and prepare to shovel or blow some snow, and stay off the roads.

I brew in the cold and it makes direct fire mashing a challenge. I employ a fair bit of crinkly tin foil to insulate my tun and propane.

We're supposed to get some of the storm, too. When I lived in upstate NY, heavy snow and wind was a way of life. I had to adapt, over come. Get an extra tank, keep it warm, change out and warm up the cold tank. Get some tarps, rope, bungees. Do whatever it takes. Do it for God and beer. Screw the blizzard. Adapt, over come. Slap that blizzard beotch in the face. Brew on. Because, if you don't. You'll go through the rest of your life, knowing you're a loser.

Predicted to get 20+ inches of now from Friday to Saturday. Had my brew day planned for Saturday morning. I have no qualms brewing in the snow, but last time I did, there was less and I ended up having to dump hot water on my propane tank every five minutes to keep it going. I don't know if it would be worth brewing if the boil won't be consistent, but I'm already in brew mode...

So, what should I do with my possibly shot brew day? I am open to suggestions!

Cheers.

Do you typically brew all grain? This would be a great time to try BIAB if you haven't already. Got a pot that is small enough to fit on the kitchen stove but at least 5 gallon capacity? Do a 2 1/2 gallon batch in the kitchen. You might even have time to do a second one all in the same day as it typically only takes me about 3 1/2 hours from starting to gather equipment to having the equipment cleaned and put away and the brew in the fermenter with the yeast pitched.:ban:

I was thinking of going to get up early and start, but by the time I started to get things together, it was already falling.

I like the idea of a garbage can filled with water to keep it warm.

I have dealt with the winds by setting up in the corner of the porch and staking boxes and garbage cans to wall myself in.

I don't have to worry too much about my mash, as I just heat my water outside and mash in my cooler inside, in the kitchen, on the dinner table. The family has accepted several breakfasts with my mashtun on the table while they eat. They support my addiction...

Do you typically brew all grain? This would be a great time to try BIAB if you haven't already. Got a pot that is small enough to fit on the kitchen stove but at least 5 gallon capacity? Do a 2 1/2 gallon batch in the kitchen. You might even have time to do a second one all in the same day as it typically only takes me about 3 1/2 hours from starting to gather equipment to having the equipment cleaned and put away and the brew in the fermenter with the yeast pitched.:ban:

Yes, I went all grain a few years ago. I haven't tried BIAB yet. I have the hardware, but unfortunately, I don't have a the second B in BIAB or the grain for a small batch. I guess I should always have enough grain on hand for emergencies like this.

Back