Tips and tricks for transplanting potted hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I started two rhizomes this year of Cascade and Centennial, and one crown of Chinook. They all grew fairly well and produced a little. I'm going to transplant them this winter into a raised bed that I have not yet built.

Any ideas on the best plan of attack on building a raised bed. Soil mix, height, etc....?

I started two rhizomes this year of Cascade and Centennial, and one crown of Chinook. They all grew fairly well and produced a little. I'm going to transplant them this winter into a raised bed that I have not yet built.

Any ideas on the best plan of attack on building a raised bed. Soil mix, height, etc....?

Avid gardener here, and hop grower. The height of your bed will have no effect on the hops. They would grow literally anywhere, and they are almost impossible to kill. For soil I recommend the same soil you would grow anything in - use dirt, and make sure you add lots of compost. As much as possible. Keep it simple.

I would make individual boxes and make them at least 3'x3'. Six or eight inches high would be sufficient and fill with a good quality soil medium. I would add a soil less mix, bulk if you can find it since you will need a good amount. If you can't find this, I would make my own using compost, sphagnum and a little peat. You want it as organic as possible and well draining. Then in the fall, add 6" of mowed up leaves over the top. This is the type of soil I use in my 4'x10' boxes for my tomatoes and hot peppers and it's the most organic well-draining soil I've ever seen. I just keep adding leaves every fall.

Back