What sort of equipment does a newbie need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasyntactic

Reaction score
I'm thinking about giving this a go (in particular the yummy looking farmhouse cheddar above). Any advice about what to buy and where (Amazon?)

Also, is it possible/advisable to make rectangular blocks of cheese?

I aint started yet, but have seen moulds in many shapes. So says round is preferred because it's a good shape to distribute the weight from the press.

You also need those little pieces of cellophane to wrap your slices in.

I saw a ss cheese pot at the hardware store for $85. It was like a mini brew pot. Uh. I don't think so.

Midwest Supplies sells beginners cheese making kits. I've been eyeing them up for the better part of a year now.

Advanced Cheese Kit looks good. I may be able to piece some of that together from the kitchenware isle or second hand stores, but for a kit...

I have seen nice stainless containers that could be used as a mold at the good will for a few dollars. I am going to pick one up the next time I see one. Plans for a press are everywhere on the internet if you look.

I just went mostly a la cart at Austin Homebrew Supply.

1 x Basic Hard Cheese Kit (comes with a basket looking mold, cheese cloth, thermometer and various ingredients)
1 x Hard Cheese Mold (800 g) (looks like a pail with holes in it)
1 x Red Cheese Wax
1 x Lipase (Mild)
1 x Stainless Steel Ladle for Cheese Skimming
1 x Cheese Salt - Amount: 4 oz
1 x Curd Knife / Spatula
1 x Lipase (Sharp)
1 x Citric Acid - Amount: 2 oz

$86 shipped

I made a cheese press for next to nothing and have a pot to cook in already. I think this is a good start.

Found some scrap plastic at work and made my own press with some of that cut and machined to hold a the drilled cup (I don't remember what that thing was called!). I used 4 threaded rods to hold the upper portion of the press and a piece of PCV to go between the top part and the press plate.

Still have not used the thing. Supposed to be a winter project, but stuff keeps getting in the whey. Curd be I'll find time this weekend. I got all the stuff to make cheddar, but I wonder if the enzymes go bad? I've had it frozen for like 2 years. I can make some mozz and see if the rennet is still good.

Back