Using 500g yeast blocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haders

Reaction score
I'm interested in comments regarding the use of the 500g S05 and S04 yeast blocks by homebrewers. I was told by a supplier to stick to the 11,5g packs because once opened the large blocks are negatively affected by oxygen exposure. I keep all my dry yeast in the freezer, but of course they are sealed.

I've spoken to someone who uses the blocks and seems to have good results. Has anyone used them for a period of time after being opened, say a year plus?

Thanks

As to the attraction, I have no homebrew suppliers anywhere near where I live
and having plenty of yeast on hand is always a good thing. It works out about half the cost.

So, has anyone any experience of using an opened block over a period of time?

If it is the same (and from their website it looks like it is) as in the smaller 11 gram sachets it is a dry yeast and is vacuum packed into a solid block. I use one pound "blocks" of dry baking yeast and simply take out 4 ouces at a time then vacuum pack and freeze the rest. Once you cut the bag it softens as air enters the bag. The yeast I use goes through the baking process and I have no fear of contamination.

If you can take out 11 grams or whatever and can reseal (vacuum) it without any possible contamination It might be fine. People who make starters and cultures are very careful when it comes to possible contamination since when brewing you are in the perfect temperature range for growing nasties.

Sounds like too much of a problem for me to maintain aseptic conditions.

OMO

bosco

Why not just buy the regular size packets, then harvest and wash the yeast from your fermenters? You could brew every weekend for a year using 6-7 packets if you plan properly. Just a thought...

I pitch on the cake a lot. I might use 1/2 that brick in a year if I brew every week and keep all the fermentors full.

How much are you honestly going to brew?
I like buying in bulk, but not having money tied up in inventory thats going to go out of date

I have bought a couple of the 500g blocks of yeast to split with friends two or three ways. I've never had a problem. I keep the yeast in a tupperware container in the fridge as opposed to the freezer. I grab 11g of yeast per batch and I do sometimes pitch on a yeast cake.

No problems.

Where do you find 500g blocks of yeast for sale? I have looked for it in the past, but was never able to find someone willing to sell one to me.

Many good points made. I do wash yeast and also pitch on the cake. Both work well.

I'm out of the country twice a year for 2 months at a time so this breaks my brewing rhythm, so to speak!
Don't like using 2 month old washed yeast although I have with no real problem. Will probably stick with the
small packs.

As to where I would buy them, we have a bulk grain buy from Toronto, (Southern Ontario Brewers SOB's!) and these are
an option this time around.

Back