Screens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
Does anyone recomend using screens when pouring the wort into a fermenter ? Also do they make a screen to use with a plastic fementing bucket ? My curiosity lies in if the "sludge" from the boil adds flavor or makes for a better finished product if left in the fermenter.

Dump it all in. There's a thread around here someplace where a brewer split a batch putting the trub (hot/cold break and such) into one fermenter and not into another. The one that had all the trub/break/etc. in it came out clearer and tasted better when it went to the glass.

Personally, the only 'filtering' I do is via a hop spider so that I don't plug up my plate chiller. The break material, and everything else (that can go into the fermenter) goes into the fermenter.

You can if you like. I use a strainer sometimes, mainly to help aerate. The break material won't effect the beer that it's produced in the fermenter. Not that I can tell anyway.
I have used a metal wire strainer and a paint strainer. I ferment in plastic pales and a 13 gallon vittles vault.
Cheers

I got a large,dual layer fine mesh strainer from midwest. I set it over my plastic fermenters & pour through it. Just move the flow around the strainer a little to get good aeration. Not to mention filtering the trub pretty well. I get an average of about 3/8" of trub on the bottom from average gravity ales. Less trub means more beer to transfer...

I just use a strainer to strain out whole hops if im using them, if using pellets i dont bother...

Back