Filtering execution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
I've read a good number of threads about filtration recently which intrigued me. However, would it be possible to use a filtration housing with filters, but not push it through with co2? I was hoping there might be a way to put it in between an autosiphon and a bottling bucket or bottling wand?

I'm not looking at a reason to filter or not, I've read about them all. I'm more intrigued by the setup and was pondering how the execution might work. Any thoughts if it can be gravity fed, pumped, or only pushed with co2?

I think this comes down to a matter of physics. The forces applied to the beer by gravity (which starts the siphon) will not be significant enough to overcome the drag of the filter in any meaningful kind of way. I'm pretty sure you *could* do this, but it would take a LOOOOONG time to get even one beer through. the addition of even 5psi of pressure to the beer greatly aids in overcoming the friction (drag) that the filter applies to the beer.

Co2 seems the easiest and most reliable, but it doesn't matter what applies the pressure: pump or co2. You have to be careful with a pump, though - the filter can only handle so much pressure.

And I've heard of people getting decent results with gravity feeding the filter. You just need to have a good setup to give you the best chance. Your wort needs to be up high and filter below it and something to catch the filtered wort even lower.

The cartridge filter type setup is nothing new if that's what you're referring to. They are pretty inexpensive to buy.

All that information on that link was awesome. I've got a couple better bottles instead of the glass carboys right now, so vacuuming into those is out of the question. I believe they'll just cave in not being glass, but they'll work to transfer out of. I started looking at pumps again, atm food grade ones are out of the question. I have noticed some of the normal transfer pumps list they can be used with chemicals, however, I don't believe I can use those for wine/beer.

Even ebay/craigslist pulled up nothing/almost nothing in my searches for a pump (not vacuum)... Guess we'll just wait to get funds back before looking at these again. Thanks for all the info though!

either way- gravity or pumped, you need to flush the entire filter out with CO2 or else you are just going to pickup tons of oxygen. in a brewery, the filter system is one of the main places of oxygen pickup.

Back