Southern Tier 'Pumking' Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Dropped by Beer Run last night and snagged a Cambonator, a Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, and the Southern Tier Pumking. Had the pumking last night.

Weird. It's like dessert. Not overly sweet, but the nose was like smelling a fresh angelfood cake with some pumpkin spice...it was SO bready, so cakey. Unlike anything I've ever had. The palate was relatively sweet, with a ton of body, very silky...the pumpkin pie spices were pretty subtle, this was more centered on vanilla it seemed...but it is probably the closest to liquid pumpkin pie I've ever tried.

If you get a chance, you should try it. I probably couldn't drink more than a 22 at a time, but it really is unique and worth the experience.

I haven't had a bottle in a few years but thats a dead on description, from what I remember. You can practically taste the crust and whipped cream on top

Anyone interested in working on a clone for this?

They list the grains and hops on the bottle, I'll let you know...I'm sure there's some lactose and/or vanilla in there too, but I don't think they mention it on the bottle, just grains and hops.

Also, just checked their website, which says it's 9% ABV and 5.8 plato.

Which converts to:

1.090 OG, 1.023 FG.

I had seen this in the store and passed it by, mainly because I was not overly impressed with the only other Southern Tier brew I had (their IPA - which was good, but not spectacular) but also because I was somewhat appalled that the Pumpkin ales come out in August *(they should be brewed in August, come out in late September!) and amused that even a pumpkin beer was imperialized.

However, I saw this post and decided I should go for it. And it was easily the best pumpkin beer I can remember tasting. I will probably buy some DFH Punkin Beer because I do not remember it all that well... but I know that this one was plain delicious.

A lot more mouthfeel than you would expect from the color, and a beautiful amber (orange) color at that. Like said above, the vanilla is very present, but the spices dont hide, especially in the nose. It really was delicious, I wish I could have gotten a 4 or 6 pack instead of a bomber. And it was thanks to HBT that I tried it, so kudos to you, and I suppose to Evan! for starting the thread...

From the Bottle:
9.0 ABV
19 Plato
8.8 L
2-row pale malt
caramel malt
pureed pumpkin

kettle hops: magnum
aroma hops: sterling

and, most importantly, "bewitched and brewed with pagan spirit."

I'll have to stop off at Galeville Grocery after work Monday and pick up a bomber of Pumpking... I hesitate to try most pumpkin brews since all I seem to find them in is sixers... hate to buy one and find I hate it.

One of the things I remember when I had this beer, like what Evan! said, there is definitely some lactose in there. I'm probably not making a pumpkin beer this year, maybe next, but I'll definitely put some lactose in there and maybe some biscuit or just use maris otter for the base.

Scratch that, I had one of these today based up the recommendation of one the local home brew clubs. Hated it. It smelled like a Pumpkin spice candle from a hobby/craft store. Then it tasted like what I would think a pumpkin spice candle would taste like.

Back to formulating a pumpkin ale recipe of my own.

bumping this: anyones clones come close.... want something like dogfish punkin or ST pumking. few recipes out there but any of them really work out great?

gonna take a shot at this myself then, ill guess on how much and what to put in besides whats on bottle. gonna use like 18 lbs of grain, should that hit 1.090? i only brewed 3 AG and all eds haus ale.

Dang, I passed this one up recently in favor of something else. Oh well, I guess it means another trip to the store. ;-)

I was able to try one of these again and it was almost nothing like I remembered it. I'm not sure if the beer has changed or my memory of it.

I swear you used to be able to taste the whipped cream (I always attributed this to lactose), I didn't detect it at all. It also tasted more boozy than I remember.

The first time I had it (about 2-3 years ago) I couldn't get enough of it, this time I ended up letting someone else finish my glass of it. It was ok, but it went from being a beer I'd like to drink to being a beer I would like to sample

I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend and had it on draft for the first time. Truly epic pumpkin ale. Really this is what I want pumpkin beers to taste like. It's too bad they don't sell it down here in Fl.

I was lucky enough to have this on draft at a restaurant after Oktoberfest the other week, and then promptly got sick.

I remember it being amazing though, and I'll be trying it again! I adore pumpkin beers.

Though next time I'll not already be drunk.

Had this for the first time this weekend. Hands down, the best Pumpkin beer I've ever had.

Had this for the first time this weekend. Hands down, the best Pumpkin beer I've ever had.

Wife was intrigued by it at Isaac Newton's in Newtown PA. We both liked it and I ended up buying two bombers from the store today. 7 bucks for a bomber is painful!

Hi. I live in Syracuse, NY, and was wondering if anyone knew of a place that had Southern Tier Pumking pumpkin ale on tap? Thanks!

Looks like it is available an hour away at the nearest big bottle shop. I might have to plan my next Jeep ride over in the Cascades just to have an excuse to stop by and pick one up.

Pumpkin Ales are one of my favorites, out of the 4 I've tried (not counting the pumpkin beer festival I went to a couple years ago) only two have been decent.

Falling Brew - is that reply to my question? I'm new to this, and do not know what "big bottle shop" means, also, you mention an hour away, but not where? P.S. I have a Jeep too! TJ. Love it!

Falling Brew - is that reply to my question? I'm new to this, and do not know what "big bottle shop" means, also, you mention an hour away, but not where? P.S. I have a Jeep too! TJ. Love it!

Nope I can't answer your question. Just commenting on the beer. I'm in WA state, so I have no idea where to find it on tap in NY.

Easily the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. I bought the last 2 bottles at a local store and am cellaring them until Thanksgiving. They go great with Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Anyone have any success brewing a clone of this? I'm thinking for a 5 gallon batch something like
15.5# 2-row
0.5# Crystal 60L
2# pureed pumpkin
Couldn't find the IBU's but shooting for something around 60 with
2 oz 13.5 AA Magnum 60 min
1 oz 7.5 AA Sterling 15 min
Is this at least sane? I might give this a whirl in the next week. Might also try to mix in some pumpkin pie mix or a least a few other spices in a secondary. This should have an SRM of about 7 which is a point dark, but I'm not sure how the pumpkin will affect the color, I don't think it's a bad first try unless someone else has a clone recipe that's already gone for a test drive.

Hi. I live in Syracuse, NY, and was wondering if anyone knew of a place that had Southern Tier Pumking pumpkin ale on tap? Thanks!

If you feel like taking a trip to Albany, Westmere Beverage on Western Ave just tapped a keg of Pumking for their growler taps. Also, I was there tonight and they said that a few Southern Tier guys will be there from 3-? tomorrow (10/30) sampling beers and whatnot.

If you're ever in Rochester, McGregor's Tap Room on 252 near RIT has Pumking (or at least they did in late August/early September) on tap. I think they fill growlers too, but I'm not positive.

First post, but I brew a pumpkin beer yearly, and it is very good.

Mash at 154
10 # 6 row
2 # Crystal 20
1 # Dark Brown Sugar
0.25 # lactose
1.50 oz Cascade (60)
freshly ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon (about 1 tsp each...sometimes more)
1 package US-05

Took 4 big cans of pure pumpkin from Walmart and cooked in the oven at 350 for an hour, spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Added this to the primary with a little pectic enzyme. Absolutely perfect pumpkin beer.

First post, but I brew a pumpkin beer yearly, and it is very good.

Mash at 154
10 # 6 row
2 # Crystal 20
1 # Dark Brown Sugar
0.25 # lactose
1.50 oz Cascade (60)
freshly ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon (about 1 tsp each...sometimes more)
1 package US-05

Took 4 big cans of pure pumpkin from Walmart and cooked in the oven at 350 for an hour, spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Added this to the primary with a little pectic enzyme. Absolutely perfect pumpkin beer.

When and where do you add the spices?

Also, just checked their website, which says it's 9% ABV and 5.8 plato.

Which converts to:

1.090 OG, 1.023 FG.

Probably going to have to mash kinda high I'm guessing. Maybe around 155-156 (it is definitely a sweeter beer), especially if you are adding extra highly fermentable sugars. Am I right? Such a mystery.

Back