Let's talk about broken home AC units

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
So...we have one of our AC units that has a slow leak in it. We need to get it refilled so we have AC in part of our house. The question is, I've done cars a half dozen times, but can Joe Homeowner do his own AC recharge in his house without bringing out the HVAC guy?

I had the same problem. Technically, it's illegal to refill your freon if you leak more than 50% a year. For a couple years I just called a different company each year to fill it, but eventually I broke down and got a new unit. I don't know if there's a way to refill it yourself, since freon (or whatever coolant you use) is hard to get ahold of.

Not sure what it's like on the east coast, but out here in Arizona you have to call in a pro. Can't find the gas anywhere to just hook it up and charge it myself.

Which in hindsight was a smart move. If I broke it, SHMBO might have killed me right there. I think that much IS legal out here....

I couldn't tell you how much it leaks...no worky this year when we fired it up

I haven't seen any home kits either, just was wondering if I wasn't looking in the right place

You have to be licensed by the EPA in order to buy R-22 (older units) or R-410 (new units). Home AC units are not something that should be tackled by the DIYer. The cost of fixing a screw-up and the wrath of SWMBO are not worth it!

Thanks guys....

I've been doing other projects the past week and we've had a cold front move in, and it's absolutely gorgeous outside! We've had the house kinda opened up...AC, who needs AC in this weather!

Back