Finding Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdowns63

Reaction score
I just brewed an Amarillo Amber Ale kit from my LHBS. The recipe gives an original gravity of 1.045, but does not list a Final Gravity. Is there a calculation to find optimum FG when it's not given? Here's the recipe:

LME 6.6lb
Belgian Aromatic 4oz.
Weyermann Cara Amber 4oz.
Weyermann Cara Red 4oz.
Weyermann Cara Munich Ii 4oz.

Target - Bittering 8aau
Amarillo - Flavor 1 oz
Amarillo - Aroma 1 oz
Amarillo - Dry .5 oz

Yeast - Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast (Rehydrated and now in primary at about 68 degrees.)

Thanks for the help!:rockin:

Buy a Hydrometer ($8), and measure your original gravit and final gravity. It's the only way to know for sure, and it's an essential part of every home brewery.

Yeah, I've got one, my main question was about knowing that the final gravity you measure is what it's supposed to be.

This page from John Palmer's site covers OG, FG, and attenuation. You should be able to track down the attenuation for your yeast (from the manufacturer, or the place you bought it), and do the math.

Or you could just trust Bike N Brew.

i saw somewhere that you should wait a week, and if gravity is the same for two consecutive days then bottle.

i wonder if you are supposed to bottle if fermentation stops and gravity seems high? i did just that and the beer came out pretty good.

No, if the gravity seems high, it's probably not finished, it's probably stuck.

That's why you should know your yeast's attenuation, and if you have a ton of unfermentables (from the recipe), so you can guestimate your expected FG. If it hasn't moved in at least three days, and it's in the expected FG, and it's been at least 10 days to 2 weeks, it's safe to bottle.

I'd never bottle before 3 weeks regardless of what the FG was, though. I think it makes clearer beer if I wait a bit.

i read an article about a commercial brewery and if i recall correctly a huge batch was completely fermented in around 6 hours? of course they had all these special gadgets and i believe the brew was being stirred throughout fermentation.

one of my main objectives is to complete the brew cycle in as short a time as possible. that makes home brewing a lot more cost effective i think.

this guy at the brew supply shop has always given me pretty good advice. he knows about attenuation and calculating acidity from the hops aa which goes right over my head when he talks about it.

i am pretty sure he said you can make the brew cycle very short if the gravity readings are correct and it is clear.

the batch i bottled early had a fg of 1.015 and normally i bottle when 1.010 to 1.012.

Thanks guys, that helps. I'm still a rookie, but I haven't brewed since last fall. I'm making up for it this weekend brewing two batches and lovin' it!!!:mug:

Back