How long until a Pelicile forms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So I made a red ale about 3 weeks ago now. I pitched with SafAle US-05 and Roeselare. Primary is done, it still is slowly bubbling. This is my first wild batch. So far there is no pelicile and i was wondering when i should start to see that and when i should be concerned if i don't see it.

Thanks!

TipsySaint said:
what influences weather or not it develops?

Usually, the amount of oxygen present within your fermenter. As a previous poster said, a pellicle may never form. If you start messing with the beer, airlock off, taking samples often etc. a pellicle may very well form.

I have one I innoculated in March after fermenting clean with 056. It still hasn't formed one. I also pitched some brett dregs from a RR bottle into it 2 months ago. I haven't tasted it, but it's a Flanders Red, so I just want it to get "some" sour, not super sour anyway. Going to enter it in a contest next February.

I did a sour stout with Roeselare that went 3 months without any activity after primary fermentation. One weekend shortly thereafter it started to get the big "Brett bubbles" and by the end of the weekend it was covered by a white, thick pellicle.

In other words, who knows?

I have two sour carboys from last september one with roseale 2nd with wlp655 or something no penicile, one had big brett bubbles for months but both are definitevely sour (and very diferent) so dont worry the bugs are there :)

I have two sour carboys from last september one with roseale 2nd with wlp655 or something no penicile, one had big brett bubbles for months but both are definitevely sour (and very diferent) so dont worry the bugs are there :)

Oud Bruin hasn't formed one but the first krausen hasn't dropped, if it forms a penicile though I'm gonna have to neuter it so it doesn't make babies with my non-sour beers, resent it's father, run away from home, ride motorcycles, get tattoos etc. ;)

My first lambic is now just barely over 6 months old. Around 3 I saw impressive brett bubbles, but I really didn't see any sort of pellicle until I popped off my airlock to take a sample at the 6 month mark. It has a big thick white pellicle now. Honestly, it is a good sign if you don't have one. You are aging it in very good low oxygen conditions.

I put in US-05 as well and they has fermented out and dropped. It's still bubbling but it has nothing on top. Right now it's in the warmest room in my house (70+ F) should i move it to the basement (55-60 F)?

Back