Dry hop vs late hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Late hop or dry hop

• Dry hop only

• Late hop and dry hop - best of both

• Late hop only

• Depends on hops used

Results are only viewable after voting.

Padalac

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I've been listening to a bit of discussion and experimenting on basic brewing radio about dry vs late hopping. Experiments mirroring a batch but switching all the late hops over to dry hop for the second batch. Seems people getting conflicting results. Some people got a better result from dry hop, some from late hop. Almost everyone seems to dry hop their pales and bitters but some people think late hopping is worthless..while others swear by it..I wonder what you people think? I'm wondering now if its contingent on hop choice, ie some hops should be dry hopped and others late hopped.

It completely depends on the brewer, the drinker, the recipe, the style, the hops, etc.
this is a HUGE discussion (way more than a question) that will warrant as many answers as there are brewers.
For example. I have 1ipa that is dry hopped 3 times, 1ipa that is dry hopped once and late hopped, one that isn't dry hopped, but gets a Citra hop tea that delightfully puckers your face, one that gets loaded with 6 additions from FWH to flameout/whirlpool.
Those are just IPA's that I like to brew frequently. Style and intention of each individual batch will warrant the correct hops schedule.

I vote for more hops. "When?" is not nearly as desirable as "how?"

thats interesting snaps, to open that discussion a bit then, what is it that makes people use these different techniques in different situations..? i mean what are you guys trying to get out of each technique in particular? (other than just, MORE "hoppiness")

Both, always.

Specifically a long warm aroma steep (100-160 F) and a 7-12 day pellet dryhop on average. Better results for me than one or the other, but a good dryhop tends to define the hop character in an IPA.

Flavor and Aroma are kind of synonymous in a sense. You can't taste if you can't smell.

my 2 cents is such:

Late hops will impart flavor, depending on the hop and style that will change. They may also aide in aroma but due to the fact that they are being partially cooked, that aroma will be dulled a little.

Dry hopping seems to me, strictly an aroma thing. I have never really noticed a huge shift in flavor when I dry hop unless I leave them in there too long.

Late hops will impart flavor, depending on the hop and style that will change. They may also aide in aroma but due to the fact that they are being partially cooked, that aroma will be dulled a little.

Dry hopping seems to me, strictly an aroma thing. I have never really noticed a huge shift in flavor when I dry hop unless I leave them in there too long.

This. The pale ale I just brewed had a lot of late hop additions but only 1 oz of dry hops. It tastes fantastic with tons of citrus/fruity hop goodness (they were Cascades), but the aroma is very subtle. Definitely increasing the dry hop next time.

If you want to add hop aroma, dry hopping is the way to go; none of the volatile compounds get driven off by the boil or by fermentation.

I tend to think most what happens at the end of the boil ends up being more flavored, but it maybe good aroma for a short while. Ive noticed a significant difference in dryhopping compared to late in the boil as far as aroma. Maybe it was my hops though also. But that is my concensus. I mean aroma at end of boil is kind of lame,(mabye I didnt use enough,though?) Not much compared to dryhop. Unless you keg maybe and drink it up fast. I bottle so I keep my eye on progress.
Im shure this has been done before but Im considering adding some after priming sugar is boiled, to rack on to a bottleing bucket.

Back