What THE HELL??? *cats*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I have 2 cats, both boys- and today while one was drinking water the other one walked up and started licking his ass! what the hell!?!!?

*I have 3 big dogs too*

We have 2 cats: Mouse and Princess Leia. They're cool, but they're not as cuddly as we'd like them to be. A house pet to me is a pet that will hop onto the couch on command and sleep in your lap. They just like to keep to themselves for the most part.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I'm slightly allergic to them.

Everyone's at least slightly allergic to them, and their urine is downright poison; especially for an unborn fetus. I've had cats in the past, but now that I know what I know, I'll never have one again. It took me a whole three days to train my dog to do his thing outside and he was only three months old at the time. Plus he barks his head off when someone comes to the door but stops the instant I tell him to. That alone earns him food and shelter. What does a cat ever do that's worth a hoot?????

Im still trying to teach my Springer to kill my wifes cats I hate the stinking damn things I keep thinking that damn cat box is goingto boff one of my batches of beer.

Probably won't kill a beer. BUT just ask some of your NON cat owning friends what your house smells like :drunk: Keep up the training, you'll get those bastards someday.

shafferpilot said:
What does a cat ever do that's worth a hoot?????

I really hate to defend cats. God knows I hate them. But since you asked... they do catch mice. That keeps mice away from our precious malt. Skinny cats are a good sign at your LHBS. ;)

But other than that? Yeah. Cats suck.

shafferpilot said:
Everyone's at least slightly allergic to them, and their urine is downright poison; especially for an unborn fetus.

Not sure why you know that, but...when my wife gets pregnant, I'll be sure not to give her cat piss to drink.

:drunk:

I've had one cat in my life that I liked---my first one, when I was a kid. He was simply a badass. None of the typical cat stuff, he would spend most of his time outside hunting in the woods, and if he didn't like you, then you were in for some sh*t. I think he only liked me and my best friend. My little brother would get scratches by him all the time, so would his friends. Which made me appreciate him all the more.

But outside if him, I don't care for cats. I don't hate them or anything, but I'll probably never have another one.

I hate outdoor cats. We have several neighbors that let their cats run the neighborhood, always climbing on our cars, chasing off the birds we put feeders out for and in one instance dropping a litter under our porch. That last one left me with seven kittens that the SPCA would do nothing about.

Pets, like children, should require passing a written test to own.

The only think toxic I know of about cat piss is that it breaks down into ammonia. A week-old cat box can burn your eyes and sinuses a little when you clean it. I'm the one that cleans the cat box at home primarily because I have an (apparently odd) genetic trait that allows me to close off my nasal passages and completely block my sense of smell at will.

Some cats are awful, some are great. I've had cats that were meaner than a snake and some dumber than a sack of rocks, but my current indoor cat is awesome. Very non-destructive, fairly intelligent, sleeps on me at night, and likes nothing more than to hop up in my lap and stuff her nose in my face.

Now dogs, on the other hand, I have a dislike for. Slobbery nasty things that aren't self-cleaning like most cats.

I had a long-haired calico years ago, it was a stray that my dad found in the woods. Musta been left out there by someone who no longer wanted her. But she was the coolest cat. Only cat I've ever known that would actually come to you when you called her name. I still remember, I'd call "Bandit", and she'd turn to me, let out her little mew and come running. My ex girlfriend at the time used to remark that cat was more dog, than cat. I miss her (the cat, not the girlfriend).

Cat I had after that was completely opposite. Would run away when I approched it. Never paid attention to it's name. It came from the SPCA, so I wonder if it was just abused to hell and never trusted people again.

Allan

Buford said:
I'm the one that cleans the cat box at home primarily because I have an (apparently odd) genetic trait that allows me to close off my nasal passages and completely block my sense of smell at will.

Man that sure would come in handy a couple of hours after dinner at the Mexican restaurant and a couple of Tecate's. :D

My cat is insane, and insanely retarded, she is untrainable, I have tried squirt guns and noise makers, nothing, she never listens. The thing doesn't even know her name, if I want its attention I just yell "hey you" and have just wound up calling her "kitten" as she never quite got the joke when I named her Bjorn Turoque (pronounced Born too-rock). If you don't immediately clean the stink out of the litter box, she thinks it is a good idea to piss in the bathtub.

She also thinks it is funny to attack your head when you least expect it, you'll be sitting there watching TV and BAM she starts clawing the back of your head. You go walking down the basement steps and she decides to attack your feet. For no reason she bites and claws your hands hard enough to draw blood, after drawing blood she then licks the wounds she just inflicted upon you. Not because she is sorry, no it is because she likes the taste of blood.

I found her in a construction site when she was about 5 weeks old caked in mud and soaked in oil. Legend has it that she was born in a pool of gasoline and raised by sewer rats. She is continually coming home with battle scars, and getting into fights with who knows what, my neighbor said she saw my cat come in to her yard attack her Boston Terrier at one point.

All I can say is that if I didn't love this cat I don't think that there is anyone else on the planet that could or would.

Flyin' Lion said:
Women can get toxoplasmosis from gardening as well, that is what harms the unborn fetus.

EDIT: to say that cats carry toxoplasmosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Thanks for finding that. Some surprising information there. I love how gardening is problematic...... but only because of the stupid cats poop there!! I say everyone is a little allergic to cats because their dander is very fine and very pervasive. I didn't know I was allergic to them at all until i moved out of my parent's house and all of a sudden I could breathe in the mornings when I woke up and that "asthma" that I'd had for years went away in a week. I've heard similar story from many people.

I will say that there was one cat that really did earn its keep. A friend of mine has a metal shop that used to have a mouse problem. A ferrel cat started hanging about, and we used to feed it cat food only when it brought us mice. Wasn't long before "Momma" got to know the routine. She'd catch two or three mice a day and then leave for a few days. But that's the only one!

BTW cats clean themselves, but my dog is pretty smart. He will go around a mud puddle rather than through it:) He's all white, but I only have to bathe him two or three times a year.

talleymonster said:
We have 2 cats: Mouse and Princess Leia. They're cool, but they're not as cuddly as we'd like them to be. A house pet to me is a pet that will hop onto the couch on command and sleep in your lap. They just like to keep to themselves for the most part.

I was never a huge cat person until I got my current cat, but she is exactly like that. As soon as you sit or lay down, she is right on your lap purring away. She's actually more of a dog than my lab is, she's an attention whore.

david_42 said:
I like outdoor cats. So do the coyotes.

I just about wet myself. I had to explain to my wife about farm cats. Every time we went to my parents ranch, she would fall in love with the cats and name them all. When we came back, they'd be gone and a new batch would be there.

She never really liked cats, but ended up keeping her roommate's cat in college. It was evil. When she got pregnant, we gave him away. When the new owners came to get him, I was holding him in my arms, and he rared up and tried to bite my face. He got my front teeth. Teeth on teeth is a weird feeling.

Sir Humpsalot said:
But since you asked... they do catch mice. That keeps mice away from our precious malt.

Brooklyn Brewery has a cat living in the brewery. Its not their major production brewery, but there's definitely a lot of grain to protect. That being said, put me down for hating cats...

I grew up with cats and dogs my whole life. I do like cats. I have two of them now. But when they are gone, I think I'll get a dog.

SWMBO is an epidemiologist AND a veterinarian. I've never voluntarily owned a cat when living on my own but I have managed to inherit a couple now. Luckily they sleep a lot otherwise I'd go nuts.

And if anything ever happens to those monsters, it's my fault. Even if I'm out of town or out of the country at the time. And the worst part is, SWMBO could fix whatever I tried to do in the first place.

Did you know those things can live like 15 - 20 years! That was depressing to learn.

I got 2 dogs and a cat (1st for me). The cat is probably the most affectionate cat I ever seen but its still the last one we're gonna have and swmbo agrees.

Can someone tell me why cats are cleaner when I got to smell her skanky arse'd cat box everytime I walk past it and she pukes about 4-5 times a week on my carpet that I'm continually cleaning? Not to mention the cat litter I think she holds in her paws like a couple of snowballs and drops all over the house as she tears butt out of her litterbox because she can't stand the smell either. Did I mention friendly? She's always "backing that thing up" at me as if I'm gonna give her some; slut!

13 years old, losing weight and the vet says her liver enzymes are 4x too high... ;)

I would like to add though that a cat is how I got into homebrewing. SWMBO wanted to bring a kitten home for 2-3 weeks while its back legs healed from being broken. She did the surgery and wanted to make sure it healed properly. She asked me if I'd let it come home and NO was the quick response. She said she'd make a deal with me if I let her keep it for a couple weeks so I was like sure, you can bring it home if you get me a home brewing kit. She called my bluff and we drove up to Austin to get my gear.

16 days later the kitten was given to its new owner and I'm still brewing! Tell me who got the best of that deal. :rockin:

DesertBrew said:
13 years old, losing weight and the vet says her liver enzymes are 4x too high... ;)

Same thing happened to one of my cats. Don't let that go on too long. Put her down before she stops eating and turns yellow. Trust me. :(

Beerthoven said:
Same thing happened to one of my cats. Don't let that go on too long. Put her down before she stops eating and turns yellow. Trust me. :(

Yea, funny thing is she still eats the same amount as always and acts totally normal, maybe a bit more affectionate even. Animals hide their sickness pretty well... '08 probably isn't gonna be much fun - Don't think the cat or the 13 year 100# lab mix are going to make it to 09.

Am I the only person who likes cats around here?! I've owned many and like them plenty and it's rather simple for me to explain why: they are cool and calculating.

They seem to be very similar to me in the regards that for the most part they are anti-social, do their own deal and seem to be relatively clever. Every dog i've ever owned was a ******* and i couldn't leave it for more than 8 hours. Cats on the other hand, never had issues with and were always sneaky, quiet, and often lovable.

That being said, I've been lucky. Some of my friends, and my sister, have the MOST annoying cats on earth and i can see how they could be lame.

All cats are different. I'm just glad that my current cat is very friendly and tends to clean up after herself. She even partitions the litterbox into poop and piss sections, making it a snap to clean - I usually only have to scoop it every 3 or 4 days and completely dump it once a week.

She rarely ever puts her claws out, although they are sharp. I have a couple scars from where she got me during a freakout when something scared her, but usually she just paws without having her claws out at all.

Her usual response to danger is to look like a deer in the headlights and fall over like a retard.

Name is Nyos. Pronounced "nyoze", one syllable. Long story there.
100_0394.jpg

Awwww those gray cats remind me of my cat Ash. He's an angry old bugger that loves me more than the ex. Gawd I miss him....

Klainmeister said:
Am I the only person who likes cats around here?! I've owned many and like them plenty and it's rather simple for me to explain why: they are cool and calculating.

They seem to be very similar to me in the regards that for the most part they are anti-social, do their own deal and seem to be relatively clever. Every dog i've ever owned was a ******* and i couldn't leave it for more than 8 hours. Cats on the other hand, never had issues with and were always sneaky, quiet, and often lovable.

That being said, I've been lucky. Some of my friends, and my sister, have the MOST annoying cats on earth and i can see how they could be lame.

I like cats! I've had cats for over 15 years and my current one is really great. Super friendly, quiet (no obnoxious meowing), and a nice companion. In fact, I'm going to change my avatar to a picture of my cat!

Cats, cat houses and especially litter boxes only smell because most cat owners feed their CARNIVORE feline an assortment of ash, rice and waste vegetable, fruit and meat.

They are supposed to eat fresh killed and raw. Small mammals, insects, birds and reptiles. When given a diet of such it is amazing how much healthier they become. They shed less, the don't smell, they poop and piss less and it doesn't smell and obesity, tooth decay and a whole host of medical problems just all go away.

Back