WLP645 versus WLP643

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
My LHBS has both on sale for $5 a piece so I bought both of them figuring I'll make something around them over the next month.

Question is, what's the difference? Are they both only a Brett strain? Should I use one in a certain style versus the other?

643? I don't see that one on White Labs site. Do you mean 653?

645 is B Claussenii, supposed to be milder less funk, more fruit. I've got some dark beer I pitched a grown up 645 into a few days ago as the sole yeast. It's chugging along nicely. Had a pellicle the first day and that's been replaced by krausen. Not the best smelling beer I've ever brewed, but I'm really hoping for some red & dark fruity goodness in a few months.

I e only used Brett L twice, both as secondary yeasts, but I got straight cherry pie from that strain not barnyard. I get more barnyard funk from Brett B.

I e only used Brett L twice, both as secondary yeasts, but I got straight cherry pie from that strain not barnyard. I get more barnyard funk from Brett B.

This is my experience as well with those 2 strains. Also, I got really great pineapple flavor and aroma from the White Labs Brett C. when I did a 100% Brett belgian blond.

This is my experience as well with those 2 strains. Also, I got really great pineapple flavor and aroma from the White Labs Brett C. when I did a 100% Brett belgian blond.

I also had great success using Brett C in a 100% Brett beer.

It was grain to glass in 40(ish) days. I intend to do this again in the near future.

Cool. Good info you guys. I debated just mixing them but will try to get some recipes that work with each yeast..I debated doing an identical recipe with both yeast strains to see what happens and report back.

Back