Pale ale getting old ... can I add new hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a batch of Galena single-hop pale ale a few months ago, an experiment to see how this bittering hop would work for flavor and aroma. It was decent when fresh, but not my favorite thing I had on tap.

Right around the time I kegged it, we found out my wife was pregnant. Ever since then, she hasn't been helping me drink down the pipeline (so selfish, isn't she?!) and we haven't been entertaining friends as much.

I never loved this beer that much, so I guess I've been neglecting it and drinking other stuff (cautionary tale for a soon-to-be dad?). But I poured a glass of it recently and realized that it's going downhill fast. The hop aroma - modest to begin with - is fading and the beer is coming up with a distinct grassy/kelpy flavor I'm not fond of. I can only drink so much of it, and I'm a little embarrassed to serve it to friends.

I'm thinking about adding some new dry hops to the keg, something other than Galena. Will this maybe mask the grassiness of the hops that are in there already, or is it just a waste of good hops to add them to this beer?

Thanks for any suggestions or insights.

I've done this before, and dryhopping a old beer does make it better...
What hops do you have on hand?
Cascade will almost work with anything....
2oz dryhop for a couple of days cold, and start serving.....as long as the keg stays cold you shouldnt get any grassy flavors...I've dryhopped in a keg for 3 months without any off flavors....
Igotsand

I'm not fond of trying to mask bad beer. I'd just dump it and fill it with something tastier.

Sounds like you dont like Galena hops...or your keg is oxidized. Dump it.

I've done this before, and dryhopping a old beer does make it better...
What hops do you have on hand?
Cascade will almost work with anything....
2oz dryhop for a couple of days cold, and start serving.....as long as the keg stays cold you shouldnt get any grassy flavors...I've dryhopped in a keg for 3 months without any off flavors....
Igotsand
I've got some fresh unopened Progress, Warrior, Summit and Galena on hand, and little bits of other hops in Ziplocs: Citra, Falconers Flight, Nugget, Hallertauer. Nothing in a traditional American C-hop though I suppose I could throw some Citra in there. Or even more Galena, since I liked it okay when it was fresh.

OldWorld - I didn't think about oxidation before now, but that's a very good point. I just don't like to dump homebrew, and it's not awful just disappointing.

Back